what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

My black sex link laid an egg in the nest box that had the golf ball in it; we've never put her in there- she did it on her own. However, 4 days before she laid she did the infamous chicken squat. I just reached out my hand while I was squatting (kneeling, whatever) to pet her and she squatted and sat there to let me pet her. Again, 4 days later an egg showed up (view my pictures on my profile). My barred rock squatted around 4 days ago and she went into the nesting box 2 days ago just to practice, still waiting for her to lay the egg. Since the black sex link, I've had 4 other chickens do the squat, it just means they are mature enough to lay.

Of the three of mine that have begun to lay I have one that consistently lays a double yolker. I keep wooden fake eggs in the nest at all time and they have laid their eggs in the nest since they began...except for one small egg that was just in the middle of the coop floor. I hope the other 20 figure it out soon since 3 eggs a day just does not do it.

I'm waiting on 6 to start here soon. I've never seen or noticed a chicken doing "the squat" but I read about it a lot so must be reliable

Some pullets and hens never do the squat, stoop, except for a rooster, after they are laying. It is to protect them from harm from a heavy rooster, and give best position for those fertile eggs. No rooster, it is instinct, and some will do it very young, some without the rooster, and some for any approach (even a dog sometimes.) Every chicken is an individual, even in flocks you will see some differences in attitude, response to feeding, walking among them. So we watch and learn about them--good to do, and then appreciate what wonderful animals chickens are!

I was sitting in the shade while the girls free ranged around me and Janet hopped up to the arm of my chair to say heh (see picture). I've been hoping she'd do that. I gave her some good back scratches (and yes, she squatted), and then she hopped down, went into the run and up to the nesting box in the coop. She rearranges it, sings a bit, then comes down, but no egg. Then she'll go up and do it all over again. I have to leave for a birthday party in an hour and I'm a nervous wreck. I want her to lay while I'm here! And I don't even know if she's serious.

And here is Janet's first egg! Small but perfect!
yippiechickie.gif
Way to go, Janet!

I was sitting in the shade while the girls free ranged around me and Janet hopped up to the arm of my chair to say heh (see picture). I've been hoping she'd do that. I gave her some good back scratches (and yes, she squatted), and then she hopped down, went into the run and up to the nesting box in the coop. She rearranges it, sings a bit, then comes down, but no egg. Then she'll go up and do it all over again. I have to leave for a birthday party in an hour and I'm a nervous wreck. I want her to lay while I'm here! And I don't even know if she's serious.
so sweet :D congrats on the egg

yippiechickie.gif
Way to go, Janet!
Thank you! She was pretty proud of herself!

so sweet
big_smile.png
congrats on the egg
Thanks! She visited the nesting box yesterday and did some redecorating but didn't lay again. I'm hoping there will be something for me when I get home. I fried the little egg this morning, and it was delicious. I felt a little guilty
smile.png
. I'm sure I'll get over that part, but I'll probably be proud of her every time. Penny's turn!

Thank you! She was pretty proud of herself!

Thanks! She visited the nesting box yesterday and did some redecorating but didn't lay again. I'm hoping there will be something for me when I get home. I fried the little egg this morning, and it was delicious. I felt a little guilty :) . I'm sure I'll get over that part, but I'll probably be proud of her every time. Penny's turn!
I blew out my first eggs from my girls!

Back
Top Bottom