what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

I did measure our egg today and it was about 2 inches in length.
that is a decent size. Great for you! My 2 white leghorns lay faithfully every day.
daily fresh water in this Arizona heat seems to help keep up their egg production in our brutal summers.

I'm told if they get too hot they can't lay as often by a biology student. I still only on my second year raising chickens.
He said it affected them making the eggs.

Just saw all of the girls gathered around the nesting box. Went to check on them and our BO Blondie just layed her first egg. Small but otherwise perfect. She had been acting funny the last few days and started singing this morning really loud.
mazeltov!

Over the weekend my gals kinda took some time off. I found 3 eggs Saturday, and only 2 on Sunday. We've been getting 5 most days from 6 pullets.

It was raining this morning so I didn't get to them until 7am... No eggs. By 8am there were 4 beauties in two nests. One of the eggs in the nest on the left weighed in at 69.5 grams! Pretty sure it was from Nellie and it's probably another double yolker... Her second double yolker!

While I was playing with the photo on the patio after weighing and marking all the eggs,,, The girls came over to join me in a cup of coffee. Quite a pleasant morning!

Photo ID left to right:
Front: Astrid - Nellie
Middle: Dot - Florence
Rear: Minty - Chipmonk

Last edited:
While I was playing with the photo on the patio after weighing and marking all the eggs,,, The girls came over to join me in a cup of coffee. Quite a pleasant morning!

Photo ID left to right:
Very pretty hens! The assortment of colors are so nice.

I put out separate oyster shell for them. In all I have 2 W Leghorns, 2 Barred Rock, 2 Red New Hampshire, and 4 Rhode Island Reds. Yes I do need to get the cartons ready. Thank goodness I have plenty of egg inquiries.

I grow sprouts for the winter treats for when it snows. This keeps them up on chlorophyll which is important for continued egg production during the winter when there are no hostas to decimate (much less grass and other tasty tidbits).

Lots of eggs being laid since I was last able to check in. Congratulations!

I only have two girls, but they're little workers. Since her first week of laying in early July, Janet has only missed one day. Penny started out slow, but now she's on a roll. She was laying later and later in the afternoon until she finally needed a day off, but she's back on the morning schedule and laying daily. She's the smaller of the two, but her eggs are bigger. She's also far more vocal, in the nesting box and out. Their shells have been perfect, and they've never laid anywhere but the nesting box. If they're out free ranging, they'll head into the run and up the ladder to the nesting box. And I still get excited every time!

Over the weekend my gals kinda took some time off. I found 3 eggs Saturday, and only 2 on Sunday. We've been getting 5 most days from 6 pullets.

It was raining this morning so I didn't get to them until 7am... No eggs. By 8am there were 4 beauties in two nests. One of the eggs in the nest on the left weighed in at 69.5 grams! Pretty sure it was from Nellie and it's probably another double yolker... Her second double yolker!

Photo ID left to right:
Gorgeous eggs and girls! I've yet to have a double yoker. That will be a treat.

Hi Ya All,
Well one of my hens squated and about 2 hours later she laid her first egg. Yaeh !!. Squating seems to be the best sign that there going to start laying.
My question tonight is should I use clay eggs in the nesting boxes so that they will lay in nesting boxes and not in the run?

Thank you All
Montana Ranch

Back
Top Bottom