what clues are there to know when a chicken is going to start laying eggs

My first egg from my Dominique hen. So excited

My 5 month old Easter Egger has been laying in dirt all day today on her side.
She does get up and walk around and is eating ok.
But she's very interested in the nest box.
I have 2 fake eggs in there (wooden) and she keeps going in and pushing them out.
Does this mean she's thinking of laying?
Or is she going to be a murderess hen? ::laughing:::

Hi... Sounds like two different things?

-She's relaxing and sunning herself or cooling herself with a dust box.
-She is looking for a suitable nest!

My Easter Egger started laying at about 22 weeks, but she had the company of 4 gals who proceeded her. Mine made her own nest nest near the nest boxes. She moved to the nest boxes a few days later.

It does sound like she's getting ready. Hope your special day comes soon!!!

Just wondering if your hens have started laying yet. Mine are about 25 or 26 weeks. No eggs yet, so my daughter said I needed to put oyster shells in their food. Good luck. Pam

Our ugly mutt chicken just laid her 1st egg. It too is ugly! LOL I'm so excited I just had to share.

This pullet hatched from an egg that was stored in the fridge waiting to be cooked for breakfast. While loading up the incubator, my daughter asked to add this particular egg made by her fav hen. Surprisingly it hatched after being in the fridge for over 3 days. We named the chick Omelet, & it soon became a favorite. Omelet's dad is an EE that hatched from a pink egg & her mom is a barnyard mix who lays simple brown eggs. Omelet looks nothing like either parent. At times she barely looked like a chicken. (Had no tail for a very long time, odd comb, & no cheeks.) Now she's making olive green eggs. Where did that color come from??? I expected pinkish or brown. The mom must have quite an unusual mix. I included a pic of the green egg next to our pink, brown & blue eggs. I also included pics of our ugly chicken growing up.

I agree with Annie. That is a beautiful egg. But my favorite color is green so I'd love to have a green egg like that!

Thanks for the compliment. I suppose we can literally have green eggs & ham now, but I must admit that it's not a very appetizing shade of green. My daughter said it tasted great.

Well you don't eat the shell! On the inside they are really all the same! :) but I am sure it is weird to eat a green egg. I felt weird about eating a brown egg as I have always had white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom