What color is this silkie?

TurtleFeathers

Fear the Turtle!
15 Years
Jan 9, 2009
By the Chesapeake Bay
Hi all -

I've got another silkie whose color I can't identify.

This girl hatched from a batch of eggs that were supposed to be WHITE silkies, but she *appears* to be a creamy khaki color. Her skin is white, her eyes are gold, and her comb and what little wattles she has are red. She produces barred male offspring (with non-barred mates), so that fits in with with the skin/comb/wattles color, but how come I can't SEE the barring, and why the tan tint to her feathers?

20890_189.jpg

TIA for any light you can shed on this for me!!!

There was someone not to long ago who posted about a breeder happy about his white skind silkies.Could be a pigment thing like Albino or something like that.Do the offspring have black skin?

So, would she be like a double factor barred (if that is possible in girls), since she is so light?

She is pretty tho, can't wait til you share babies from her
wink.png

I'm fairly certain the light skin/wattles/comb are from the barring gene, and I'm told the offspring had it too. But no, only males can have two barred genes, females can only have one. Something else is going on here - I just don't know what it is!

Last edited:
Other than barring, what colour do the sons have (typical cuckoo, or is it lighter like hers or ...)?

Also, what colour is/are the father?

Thought are lavender barred or khaki barred. I suspect that she lacks melanizers in general, and Fm in particular.

Do you have photos of father or sons?

Quote:
I honestly don't know - she just came to me recently. The person I got her from isn't real familiar with colors and patterns, but she said she hatched this hen from eggs that were supposed to be from a white pen (I think she said she got the eggs on eBay). I can find out if she has any pics of the offspring tho - I'll get back to ya ASAP!

Thanks!

I think it is either lav barred or possibly splash cuckoo. I know that when I cross the cuckoo to blue the chicks are lighter than cuckoo to black. I don't use splash because that would get kinda messy. she is really pretty. since she came from a white pen it could have been a very wash out splash in the pen.

Suze, could dom white be part of this. There are so many solid colored birds out there that resulted from paint breedings could this not be one from hidden paints?

Back
Top Bottom