What color should I look for as a mate?

I don't think the breeder was trying to take advantage of me. She told me she wasn't sure what the chick was when it first hatched, just that it came out of her purple pen. She asked around and was told it was spalding split pied. I will put a baby picture below. I have been trying to take lots of pictures and make notes to help me learn in the future. The "blue" designation on the picture is just the band color.

Regardless, I am going to enjoy watching the little mystery grow. I just don't know what I should be on the lookout for as it's buddy/future lover 🤣. I don't want to put it with the purples or the whites.

View attachment 3577808
yeah definitely not split pied looks like just a regular pied without much white

20230717_094956.jpg
20230717_094922.jpg
20230717_094949.jpg
20230717_094935.jpg

IF it actually came from a Purple pen, meaning that someone in that pen is only split to Purple your chick could be split to Purple if it is a cock. If it is a hen it is not Purple at all. I tend to think the seller knows less than you do or was taking advantage of you.
The Male is a Purple Dark Pied, WE - the Hen is a Spalding.
I call it the "Purple pen" because I have a PDP, P, and PP hens in there. The peachick if Male is Spalding split to Purple and Split to Pied. I know a hen doesn't carry sexlinked Purple, but if it was a hen she would be purple split to pied.
I am not taking advantage. :(

Last edited:
The Male is a Purple Dark Pied, WE - the Hen is a Spalding.
I call it the "Purple pen" because I have a PDP, P, and PP hens in there. The peachick if Male is Spalding split to Purple and Split to Pied. I know a hen doesn't carry sexlinked Purple, but if it was a hen she would be purple split to pied.
I am not taking advantage. :(
You list everyone in that pen as Purple and clearly someone is not or the chick would be Purple. Or are you saying there is a non-Purple Spalding hen also? The latest pics posted look like a cock chick and you would be correct, split Purple and split Pied. I would still do the DNA test before buying a Purple hen to go with him.

You list everyone in that pen as Purple and clearly someone is not or the chick would be Purple. Or are you saying there is a non-Purple Spalding hen also? The latest pics posted look like a cock chick and you would be correct, split Purple and split Pied. I would still do the DNA test before buying a Purple hen to go with him.
There is a non purple Spalding hen in that pen.

Back
Top Bottom