What color will they be ??

Flying Chicken in the sky

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
I bought some chicks from Runnings. I was wondering what color the Ameraucana chicks will be when they grow up. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Many hatcheries sell EEs as Ameraucanas but they aren't. True Ameraucanas can only be gotten from breeders. IMO EEs are better. They come in so many more colors. Beautiful chicks.

Thanks for the reply!

I bought them from Runnings and the metal tub they had them said "Ameraucana" on it... so they must be.

yup there EEs lol. As the last poster said hatcherys Only sell EEs but miss lable them. EEs are better in ways. They are healthier and lay soo many differnt colored eggs and come in soooo many colors. I have no idea what color the 2nd chick will be. Might turn out white with black through its feathers or like a culumbian color...just a guess lol

yup there EEs lol. As the last poster said hatcherys Only sell EEs but miss lable them. EEs are better in ways. They are healthier and lay soo many differnt colored eggs and come in soooo many colors. I have no idea what color the 2nd chick will be. Might turn out white with black through its feathers or like a culumbian color...just a guess lol

Thank you for the info! I guess hatchery chicks are very poor quality. I have an EE that I really like.. so I totally know what you mean lol!

Thank you for the info! I guess hatchery chicks are very poor quality. I have an EE that I really like.. so I totally know what you mean lol!

Post pics of them in a few weeks after they get there wing feathers and some feathering on there body.
big_smile.png

Maybe we can help more then with color

Quote:
I don't know that I would say that.

Hatchery birds do not accurately reflect how the breed is supposed to be - there are flaws in coloring, size, type, leg color, etc. For this reason, if you are breeding, you do not want hatchery stock. However, they do great at what they are bred to do.............crank out eggs.

Your birds are Easter Eggers. To get pure Ameraucana's (notice no "i" in the spelling), you need to go through a breeder. There is nothing wrong with EE's. I have an EE and 2 pure Ameraucana's and enjoy them both.

The first will be partridge in coloring. The 2nd, I'm not sure, but possibly black and white.

Last edited:
I'm with Happy Chooks, I also have a flock of EE's and starting a flock of Lavender Ameraucana I hatched two weeks ago. EE's are lovely little birds, once they find out you are the treat dispenser they come running from far and wide. They are very hardy in my opinion, mine foraged even with two feeders in their run, all winter long. You will love them and their eggs.
Michele

Back
Top Bottom