What color will this runner duckling grow up to be? Is that a crest?

Hello,

I just hatched out this runner duckling. It's a color I haven't seen before. I'm guessing it will become a fawn&white. Which color will it become?

In addition, is that a crest I'm seeing? It can only be seen on one side, but I know crests can be off-center. I really hope it's not as I don't want a duck with neurological problem, but this little guy is the only 'fawn&white' I have now.

Thank you.

View attachment 1679079
View attachment 1679080

View attachment 1679081
What an adorable baby. Definitely looks like it’s sporting a crest. Could you get a picture of it standing? Are the adult birds from the farm you got the eggs from all runners? Its color is not fawn and white.

Yes the mallard colored runners are called mallard runners I believe, I think that's what Miller means.

They're supposed to be all runners, I'll know for sure in a day or two when their legs get a bit stronger.

If this one's not fawn and white, then I don't think I have any. The 2 yellow ones I have don't have any tiny brown patches the fawn and whites're supposed to have.

edit: OK just saw Hillbilly's post. I may still have 1-2 fawn and whites then. I hope they are, that's the color I want the most!

Last edited:
Yes the mallard colored runners are called mallard runners I believe, I think that's what Miller means.

They're supposed to be all runners, I'll know for sure in a day or two when their legs get a bit stronger.

If this one's not fawn and white, then I don't think I have any. The 2 yellow ones I have don't have any tiny brown patches the fawn and whites're supposed to have.

edit: OK just saw Hillbilly's post. I may still have 1-2 fawn and whites then. I hope they are, that's the color I want the most!
Here’s what my fawn and white runner hen looked like as a duckling, so you can compare colors.
43472CB9-EF37-4476-ADEB-68A75291A871.jpeg

I think your duckling is a mix between Runner and another breed, probably Rouen, Mallard or Khaki Campbell.

@PaulX I have a runner mix!!! She's awesome. We know her mom was a fawn and white runner. Her dad we have narrowed down to either Buff or Kahki!

ALL runners are described to have brown eyes in that document. What eye-color do your Runner ducks have?
Gil's mixed so it doesn't help but her eyes are brown and I know that dad genes are more dominant in ducks so I've been using that fact to try and figure out WHAT THE HECK GIL IS!!!! I had to stop thinking about it for a while, it's driving me crazy :lau

Back
Top Bottom