What color would this Maran be considered? Still Black Copper?

OrpObsession

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
I adopted a Maran Rooster from my neighbor after my Lavender Orpington passed, to protect my ladies. The Roo was hatched from eggs that were sold to her as Blue Copper Marans. She ended up with a quite a few splashs out of the mix. This guy was the "black sheep of the family". He is only about 4 months old. My question is, What color would he be considered? His toe nails on the long front toe are white and all the other toe nails are the normal gray/black. Light feathering on his legs also. The black in his tail does show the sheens of green. Chest is red with black spots. His black is completely black, no blue. Just seems to be an odd color pattern for a Maran, maybe has some EE mixed in somewhere??? Pretty sure pure Maran though.

I believe he'd be a blue copper marans
ETA:
Blue doesn't breed true, so you'll get 50% blue, 25% splash, and 25% black chicks when you breed two blues together. He'd be considered the black version of the blue, or in some cases, he might actually be just dark blue. He does look like a dark blue to me

Last edited:
The feathers you see below his wing are actually brown, not gray. His tail is probably black like the poster indicated. He was also completely brown as a chick with barring on his wings. I will see if I have some pictures. I have blue, and he doesn't look anything like any of the blues I have. His legs are brown also. He also hatched with a golden cuckoo colored marans. The rest were blue, black and splash.

Last edited:

the black copper is on the left and the brown chick is on the left.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom