What colors do you get when you breed a buff orpington to a splash orp?

muslw4

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Northern Illinois
I want to breed to get a lemon Orpington. I have blue, splash, lavender, and buff. If I bred buff to splash could I eventually get lemon? Does the splash dilution gene affect the buff color? I understand the splash is recessive and won’t show in the first generation. I also know buff is a combination of several colors. Would it be better to breed lavender to buff? I know that lav is a different gene than the blue/splash. I would eventually like to get lemon barred/cuckoo. I understand the barring gene abut can’t get my mind around how you get lemon. What about the lemon blue phenotype? Where does that come from? I think lemon blue Cochins are beautiful and would like to see that in an Orpington.
I’m reading through past posts but can’t find the answer I’m looking for.
Thanks for any advice

Well, after reading this article
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/genetics-an-attempt-at-simplifying-the-complex
you have to have an inhibitor of gold gene to get lemon. But where does that gene come from? I have read too many threads and articles that now I don't know where I read what where. I think I also read that the dillusion gene dilutes black to blue and will also work on gold. Is buff a form of gold or are they two separate color genes? I'm getting more confused. Maybe just have to play around with breeding and see what happens.

If anyone can shed a little light here it would be most appreciated.

I want to breed to get a lemon Orpington. I have blue, splash, lavender, and buff. If I bred buff to splash could I eventually get lemon? No

Does the splash dilution gene affect the buff color? No There is no splash dilution gene. Two blue genes carried by a black chicken expresses splash.
I understand the splash is recessive and won’t show in the first generation. No, splash is the result of two blue genes diluting black to a splash color.
I also know buff is a combination of several colors. No buff is the expression of the columbian gene, the dark brown gene on a gold wheaten bird.
Would it be better to breed lavender to buff? No will only produce a black bird with a buff head, neck, breast.
I know that lav is a different gene than the blue/splash. yes lav is recessive and blue is incompletely dominant.
I would eventually like to get lemon barred/cuckoo. lemon barred are actually buff birds that are barred
I understand the barring gene abut can’t get my mind around how you get lemon. male black/ barred bird x buff bird = F1 males and females
F1 male x buff female= some F2 lemon barred females and males ( they will be smutty)
cross F2 lemon barred male x F2 lemon barred female
What about the lemon blue phenotype? Where does that come from? lemon blue is a gold birchen also called brown red that carries the blue gene
I think lemon blue Cochins are beautiful and would like to see that in an Orpington.

I’m reading through past posts but can’t find the answer I’m looking for.
Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Oh thank you tadkerson that simplifies things. I thought Lemon was a pale buff or straw color. I think I can handle this one then. Thanks so much! I thought I understood the blue gene pretty well, but apparently not. I wish I could find a good chicken color genetics book to study.

Back
Top Bottom