What could cause thickening metatarsus bones in 5 month old pullet?

Vicki B.

Songster
6 Years
Oct 10, 2017
Northern California
This is the 2nd pullet in a year that has thickening leg bones. It is not the skin as in scaly leg the bones are growing thick and the pullet is small and seems to be stunted. She can get around but the legs seem weak on top of growing very thick. I cannot find anything that matches her condition all the pictures of rickets I have seen don't match. Rickets seems to bow or twist the leg this girl's metatarsus bone is growing thicker. Other than being stunted and underweight she seems normal and tries to get around with the flock. Any ideas of what could cause this? I thought it was a congenital defect with the last pullet but now it is happening again several months later in an unrelated pullet.

Could you post any pictures of the chicken and the legs? Does the enlarged legs feel hard? There is something called marble leg disease or osteopetrosis that can cause thickening of the lower leg bones.

I will take a picture tomorrow. It is both legs and it is hard. It is not a soft tissue swelling the last pullets' legs grew very thick like elephant man disease. She was killed by the other chickens when they mistakenly got in her pen with her and she couldn't defend herself and couldn't figure out how to slip out the cracked door they came in.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-23_19-59-57.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-23_19-59-57.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 7
How is she walking now? That is pretty much how osteopetrosis looks. It is associated with avian leukosis virus, but most avian leukosis cases do not have the marble leg syndrome. I don’t know of any treatment.

Back
Top Bottom