What day do you think this chick died?

audreymarie

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Hi all! This baby was in a dark shell so i gave It a go even though i couldnt see anything at all. What day do you think it gave up?

Attachments

• E5CEAF97-7E2D-4D14-B9BA-FEC5B89D1A24.jpeg
    E5CEAF97-7E2D-4D14-B9BA-FEC5B89D1A24.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 12
  • B427BCFA-F53C-47F9-ABA2-06A123619668.jpeg
    B427BCFA-F53C-47F9-ABA2-06A123619668.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 12
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-embryo-development-graphic/

This site might help you out. The chick looks like day 19-20ish to me. That last phase where they have to position themselves correctly to hatch then transition to breathing on their own can be a challenging time.

Can you remember how it was positioned? Sometimes if they aren't positioned correctly they cannot pip. I lost one recently that had its head pointed downwards between its thighs with no hope of being able to pip. It was a beautiful chick too, and the only one to survive out of some shipped eggs that looked like they'd had a rough trip.

This site might help you out. The chick looks like day 19-20ish to me. That last phase where they have to position themselves correctly to hatch then transition to breathing on their own can be a challenging time.

Can you remember how it was positioned? Sometimes if they aren't positioned correctly they cannot pip. I lost one recently that had its head pointed downwards between its thighs with no hope of being able to pip. It was a beautiful chick too, and the only one to survive out of some shipped eggs that looked like they'd had a rough trip.

Does it look shrink wrapped to you?? I’ve never seen that but the film over the baby has me thinking that. I had to open the incubator today to help a chick out of the hatch, and i only had two eggs this in question being one with no pip so i had to make a decision to either lose one that i knew was alive or possibly lose both. I couldnt see any legs in this one and at the end there was a hard piece of cartilage like material which made me think it’s legs never developed right? I’m not sure. But thank you for the response and insight!!

The way you see it is the way it was in the shell....i definitely think it was malpositioned

Does it look shrink wrapped to you?? I’ve never seen that but the film over the baby has me thinking that. I had to open the incubator today to help a chick out of the hatch, and i only had two eggs this in question being one with no pip so i had to make a decision to either lose one that i knew was alive or possibly lose both. I couldnt see any legs in this one and at the end there was a hard piece of cartilage like material which made me think it’s legs never developed right? I’m not sure. But thank you for the response and insight!!

The blood in the veins of the membrane empty out very quickly once the chick dies so that will make it contract and look shrink wrapped. Sounds like it wasn't meant to be for that little baby. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom