What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning, everyone! I am back from vacation, and am adjusting to my normal routine again after a week of tropical weather.
My wonderful neighbor took care of our animals and my garden. I came back to find she had even trimmed the tops of my tomato plants that had gotten too tall and spindly while I was gone. My potato plants may not do much...the stems are all laying ovet, but they haven't even flowered yet.

My ground cherries have started ripening, and we ate a few this morning. My deck planters that my husband made had crazy growth in the plants over the past week!

The disappointing thing is that my roma tomatoes that were just starting to get big when we left all have blossom rot! ☹ I had checked the pH of the soil before we left and it was good. I even added egg shells to the soil. Very disappointed.

I came back to eight ripe peaches on the peach tree! They are small, and four of them had holes from bugs, so I gave those to the chickens. The other four are perfect and tasty! Very pleased for a second year peach tree! Something, most likely deer, ate all the bottom limbs of my second year apple trees. Argh! I usually spray it with Repel All once a week, but it rained the day after we left, so the deer took advantage.
Going to ask cause I just don’t know.
Ground cherries? Really?
Iffin there like dingle-berries I’m gonna feel silly.
Cherries that grow on the ground?

Ground cherries? Really?
They're like little husk tomatoes.

Managed to re-do the irrigation heads in the garden. I need to adjust the heads, but I'll wait to do that on a day they need water.

Put the chickens in.

Low humidity, but that makes the sun feel like a magnifying glass. The rest of the week is going to be in the gross territory with the heat and humidity. I am not a fan.

Regraded the chick run and added pine mulch after cleaning coop yesterday in between rain showers. I planted a marigold in my rain barrel herb flower box. Plan to use those dried in my Chick food. Rain barrel filling so can use chick drink stick shortly. I have my Russian sage and lavender plants ready to plant but so far just a drink from the rain. Now resting due to rain showers. Plus made my anti ant and fly sprays this week. Good news is cucumbers are fruiting. :):th

Ground cherries? Really?

Ha! Don't feel silly. I had not heard of them until last summer. My neighbor grows them, and I wanted to try it. They look like a small version of tomatillos, with the husk around them. The fruit is small, and tastes like a cherry tomato, but a bit sweeter. Very tasty! It is fun to grow.

I went out and watered my potatoes and found a spider web with tons of little baby spiders. I couldn't find the mama, but the web looks like a black widow. Since I had black widows infest several tomato plants last year, I freaked out a little. I dusted it with sevin, even though I had been trying to keep everything organic this year. Black widows are nothing to mess with. Now I am going to be terrified to dig for potatoes.

I went out and watered my potatoes and found a spider web with tons of little baby spiders. I couldn't find the mama, but the web looks like a black widow. Since I had black widows infest several tomato plants last year, I freaked out a little. I dusted it with sevin, even though I had been trying to keep everything organic this year. Black widows are nothing to mess with. Now I am going to be terrified to dig for potatoes.

wow! Never heard of BW invading tomatoes! Still awful - I'd dust too. I remember one of those hoarder shows, where the teen kid that did a little cooking in the family only had one burner to use...rest of the tiny (and packed) kitchen was unusable. When they cleaned out the home, there was a whole nest/ colony of BW on the COUNTER!! under all the icky stuff that hadn't been moved for who knows how long. The exterminators were there for the roaches and jumped back when they discovered the BWs!! So, I guess outside BW are better than inside BW. still ick!

found a spider web with tons of little baby spiders. I couldn't find the mama, but the web looks like a black widow.
I would have been there with a vacuum cleaner, bag type, and then burn the bag. I would never kill a spider,(outdoors in nature) except BW, and Brown Recluse.
Too much to risk trying to save those.:old

Back
Top Bottom