What did you do in the garden today?

Anyone growing to sustain their family without the grocery store?

I'm 100% not buying veggies at the store once my garden is officially growing. I should start harvesting some stuff in as little as 25 days from now.

We have quail, chicken, ducks, and turkey as well.
A lot of us on here garden and then can what we grow as well as eat it fresh. I am still using tomatoes that I canned last summer ( but I had to buy my tomatoes at the produce stand because my tomatoes did very poorly last summer).

I'm 100% not buying veggies at the store once my garden is officially growing. I should start harvesting some stuff in as little as 25 days from now.

We figured it out one year that you need almost 6 acres planted of various crops, different stages and all to be successful to sustain a family through the year. Ya. We just don't live like that anymore. And that's not including the meat animals and their needs. Crazy isn't it?

Well the henhouse and hens do. I treated with permythrin last week, both coop and birds. Also dumped a ton of DE on the inside of coop and run, and covered the old compost with tarps so they can't reinfect themselves dustbathing.

Tomorrow I'll spray down the coop again, and treat all of them with Ivermection on their backs. Then it's going to be a 3 month routine from here on out.

Man, I feel for you. I had to deal with all that mite s**t on the last property we rented. It was bad, really bad. I remember treating one of my girls who was in a therapy chair with permethrin. She got them really bad as she couldn't care for herself. I had to take her outside to a secluded spot, create a makeshift dust bath for her, lace the dust bath (and my girl) with permethrin, and just let her roll in it. I could not BELIEVE how the mites just popped off and died, instantly. I felt awful but I had to do it several times before she was rid of them. Isolated case, but jeez I hate those buggers. They seem to stick to the ribs like flies on you know what.

Last edited:
I got in the garden today. There's still no plants outside, but I should be able to get plants in this weekend. Today's garden duties were likely extreme for many of you. I had a bobcat and dump trailer with an F-250 duelly to finally remove the huge pile of dirt that was blocking our garden expansion. I'm pretty sure I removed at least 8 cu. yds. I'm going to dump it all tomorrow. After I return the heavy equipment I'm going to grab a new chainsaw blade to get rid of a stump. Then I should be able to till if the rain holds off. I'm hoping to plant potatoes, cold hardy greens, and onions on Sunday. I also need to spread grass seed in parts of the lawn I leveled with some of the dirt. Then I need to start spreading the 10 cu. yds of mulch that's sitting in my drive way.

We're growing, yes, but not sustaining. We're eating turnip greens and collard flower stalks (both overwintered, zone 6) Fyi violet leaves are edible and yummy. Flowers, too. The leaves are tough until cooked. Next come lambs quarters, in my area. Really good food. Leaves and tender stalk tips. Can be eaten raw but much nicer cooked and salt, pepper, buttered. Lambs quarters is related to quinoa. You can eat the seeds, too, but have to go easy on them.i forget what they do in excess.
Dandelion greens aren't bitter after they're cooked, either. Unless my dandelions are special.

Back
Top Bottom