What did you do in the garden today?

Will do!!! We have a lot of plastic bins lying around so I think I’m going to use some of those and put them in bins. Maybe put some directly in the compost pile but I think it might still be too cold for them. We’ll see haha

We just have chickens right now but I would love rabbits!!

I do put the chicken litter in the compost pile though, poop and all, but the shavings usually take forever to breakdown. We have a separate pile of wood chips though that we chipped up in the fall and I think those tend to break down faster than the shavings cause of the various particle sizes and stuff.

The current pile was taking forever to break down and none of vegetables or anything were really breaking down at all despite being on there a while but I just turned it/flipped it over yesterday and buried some of the scraps in doing so so hopefully that helps. Wish the chickens would go scratch it up but they are afraid to go up there. It used to be closer to the coop but we moved it.
If the pile had a it if shavings or chips in it, and loads of nitrogen material and turn twice a week if you can. I have a carbon rich pile of woodchips right now too. It's breaking down well for being woodchips. I dumped a wheelbarrow full of chicken poop on it in addition to the kitchen scraps we add every few days. Just a week after the poop was added, I was already unrecognizable as it turned into crumbly black gold. Keep adding nitrogen materials too. Once the last batch of nitrogen material is unrecognizable, add more. Wood is VERY high in carbon, so is going to take a lot of nitrogen rich stuff to break it down. The upside is you can get rid of a LOT of grass, weeds, food scraps and poop.

If the pile had a it if shavings or chips in it, and loads of nitrogen material and turn twice a week if you can. I have a carbon rich pile of woodchips right now too. It's breaking down well for being woodchips. I dumped a wheelbarrow full of chicken poop on it in addition to the kitchen scraps we add every few days. Just a week after the poop was added, I was already unrecognizable as it turned into crumbly black gold. Keep adding nitrogen materials too. Once the last batch of nitrogen material is unrecognizable, add more. Wood is VERY high in carbon, so is going to take a lot of nitrogen rich stuff to break it down. The upside is you can get rid of a LOT of grass, weeds, food scraps and poop.
Thanks!!! This is very helpful!! I didn’t realize nitrogen would make it break down faster. I’ll have to add some. I need to clean the coop out anyway so when I do I’ll go add the poop haha

Right now it’s mostly leaves, some wood chips, and a pile of dried grass from last year (the tall decorative kind, the dead stalks). And of course the veggies, coffee grounds, and egg shells. But definitely mostly browns. I’ll try to add some poop to it.

Letting them get a little leaf curl from not watering right off. Not killing them. There's a fine line. It makes the fruits sweeter.
Ah okay that makes sense!! Thanks!! I usually always let mine get a little bit wilted/curled/droopy looking and dry anyways haha good to know it’s good for them 😂🤣 I don’t kill them but they just sometimes get a little hot in the sun before I water them and then they perk back up.

Ended up getting two of them (my mom’s idea) and I’m glad I did because they’re really quite gorgeous/pretty imo, more like a decorative plant, but edible! :D the pictures don’t really do them justice cause the lighting’s pretty bad but they are a lot prettier in person haha even my mom said they were 😂🤣

I had called them telling them about it and they said how they were just talking about how they wanted lettuce and to get two 😂🤣

It’s also a benefit that they are ready to eat now as opposed to having to wait months for the other lettuce to be ready. :lau

But next year I’m definitely going to start everything a lot sooner 😂🤣🙈

4FA3013B-7624-4954-81AD-C6816EC40DE9.jpeg 30798B58-19ED-4DC4-B8D9-71F0DDF07C2C.jpeg 0D02FC13-FCAA-486C-BE74-AF3ACED4F4F7.jpeg 4D991BCD-ACB4-474D-8202-0BE2742B1155.jpeg

I think I’m gonna try some of the lettuce tonight. :D

My parents are getting chicken parm to go so I’ll cut some of the lettuce to have with it so I can feel healthier. :lau

They asked if I wanted chicken parm or chicken broccoli ziti and I decided I wanted to be unhealthy. :lau

This new lettuce can make up for that. ;)

I think I’m gonna try some of the lettuce tonight. :D

My parents are getting chicken parm to go so I’ll cut some of the lettuce to have with it so I can feel healthier. :lau

They asked if I wanted chicken parm or chicken broccoli ziti and I decided I wanted to be unhealthy. :lau

This new lettuce can make up for that. ;)
No more lettuce season for us, tomatoes are still green. Hopefully next year we will be rolling in artichokes in the back yard raised beds. I do plan on building several raised beds in the back and putting in some late march corn(I'll be waiting on the non GMO Mexican harvest to start coming up north). Onions should be a first part of November thing and the Brussel sprouts need a 2 month head start from what we gave them last year. I'll consider building some type of cold frame for them. Obviously we misjudged how much spacing the cantelope need. I think we have 5-6 of those in a 5x8 bed and it is starting to look crowded there, oh, and they are starting to climb up the poultry netting(so they do climb). My second passion flower is fighting to get a foothold in the soil so I need to prune that greenery back. The one we put in back in Jan is doing fine and actively growing and climbing the fencing.

No more lettuce season for us, tomatoes are still green. Hopefully next year we will be rolling in artichokes in the back yard raised beds. I do plan on building several raised beds in the back and putting in some late march corn(I'll be waiting on the non GMO Mexican harvest to start coming up north). Onions should be a first part of November thing and the Brussel sprouts need a 2 month head start from what we gave them last year. I'll consider building some type of cold frame for them. Obviously we misjudged how much spacing the cantelope need. I think we have 5-6 of those in a 5x8 bed and it is starting to look crowded there, oh, and they are starting to climb up the poultry netting(so they do climb). My second passion flower is fighting to get a foothold in the soil so I need to prune that greenery back. The one we put in back in Jan is doing fine and actively growing and climbing the fencing.
Oh wow crazy to me you’re done with lettuce already and we’re just starting hahah

Sounds like you have a good plan for everything. :)

But oh yes, cantaloupe/most melons I think definitely take over lol I’ve never grown them but have grown pumpkins, cucumbers, and squash and those all take over and I think melons are similar lol

Back
Top Bottom