What did you do in the garden today?

I always see them sold inside the husk in my markets. Heck they are green tomatoes. I would never choose a huskless one in the produce section.

I do eat them frequently, but processed into a green sauce(think tomato sauce) for putting on tacos and other treats and most likely they are the heat. I will never put cheese in a taco again. I would never suggest I have knowledge of making a green sauce(Salsa Verde) but I bet youtube can. Cheese and sour cream don't work with tomatillo sauce it masks all the flavor. Green sauce makes or breaks your dish. I always tell my DW I love it when the angry lady's make the stuff. Should you make a truly great Salsa all of your guests should be on the floor pleading to their god for salvation and then taking a few bites more. Shampoo, rinse and repeat. I have been there more times than I would prefer to recount publicly and trust me I would eat it again.

It does freeze well for long term storage. No idea on canning.

Helpful hint- try it without cilantro first before you take that plunge as cilantro Salsa Verde offends even me as it tastes like soap. My wife hates cilantro as well.

I often use Salsa Verde to add an extra kick to boorish beans and rice dishes too. I freeze them into ice cubes(for storage) to add a little something into ramen even. Hope this is helpful.
We love cilantro. I think the aversion is at least partly genetic, but can be overcome with increased consumption.😋. We usually make tomatillo salsa by directly grilling tomatillos, onions, and peppers like jalapeños until they soften and get a little char. Wipe off black char as desired, add salt and pepper, (cilantro-parsley might be a decent sub or leave it out), and mash or blend in food processor. You can also broil in the oven or char over a gas flame.

Didnt even think about squirrels honestly...we dont have a big population of rascals (thats what my daughter has always called squires). But we do have a good number of chipmunks. Ideas for deterrents?
I like the insect netting I have for critters (including chickens) and also a little shade for the plants when it is really hot. Could probably find the Amazon link if you like.

We love cilantro. I think the aversion is at least partly genetic, but can be overcome with increased consumption.😋. We usually make tomatillo salsa by directly grilling tomatillos, onions, and peppers like jalapeños until they soften and get a little char. Wipe off black char as desired, add salt and pepper, (cilantro-parsley might be a decent sub or leave it out), and mash or blend in food processor. You can also broil in the oven or char over a gas flame.
Yup we are eurocentric types and it tastes like the soap our(DW and I) mothers fed us as children for fibbing. It could be a child rearing thing and not genetic. Neither of us can stand cilantro.

I’m sitting on the porch catching up on all the posts. Belle is not very happy that I won’t let her play with our friend, Mr. Toad, but she is listening. Hummingbirds are also enjoying the cooler weather. Zooming around like crazy!
898596E0-5621-489D-B6DD-88AA6430040E.jpeg
0DF5916B-40D3-482B-AAAA-1A7CC748633F.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife believes toad licking was the cause of this mornings doggie emetic episode. Glad yours stays away. I cleaned up the worst though and DW needs to do the finer parts. @Sooner Magnolia It just needs to finish drying out. There are no photos as I am trying to hold on to my lunch and would hate to ruin it for others.

Last edited:
Aloha Gang!
Kauai update is we got a little bit of rain and a little bit of wind the day after the passing of Douglas. I tore the fema plastic off of my coop and brought the cages no one stayed in from the shop. I am absolutely thrilled Douglas moved to the north and it had a weak southern edge and not only us, but all islands were spared any damage. Once again, the island of Kauai did a great job of pulling together with a smile. Needless to say it was exhausting, I can not imagine the exhaustion @AllenK RGV must be feeling. Hang in the Allen!
No time to catch up on the garden haps yet. Lock down on top of lock down puts me behind. I look forward to scrolling all the garden gossip when I have more time :thumbsup
Stay well people!!! TTFN!!! :D🤙

Found 2 more tomatoes hidden my green vegetation, pruned some leaves on the Tomatoes and Cucumbers, fixed the bamboo climbing tower I slapped together (kind shocked it worked, I put little effort into building it) and put up a 2 foot fence to keep meat birds contained away from a garden so they could venture out of their pen and get to some fresh dirt/grass. One of them might be in Camp freezer shortly after sunset.

Back
Top Bottom