What did you do in the garden today?

I've made pork belly a few times and the best recipes were Chinese style. Slow cooked with just the top sticking out of a cooking liquid and slow cooked in the oven. That stuff is awesome and so rich. How are you cooking yours?

Sun finally came out today and as soon as the sun came out it got nice and warm. I'll be glad for rain but a little real sun is good too, I was starting to think I wouldn't get any more ripe tomatoes. I went out and watered and found more firecracker tomatoes, before the vines completely collapse. The breeze is coming from the west so that's probably why we don't have as much smoke now. We are very lucky to be where we are.
I was looking for Asian recipes using it but didn’t find one I had the stuff for already. I’m baking it in bbq sauce then serving with coleslaw on slider buns.

I’ve also added 1 Hawaiian Punch drink packet (any flavor) per recipe to get a sweet/tart flavored marshmallow - fun to have every now and again.

Now that sounds like fun. Usually for Christmas I'll whip up a bunch—one year I made chocolate marshmallows and strawberry ones and sliced them to be smaller than usual. Big hit! Dad kept tossing them into his coffee. :p Playing confectioner is such fun. Raspberry sounds wonderful, yum. They all look great! Must be marvellous in hot cocoa! "Nothing goes with sugar like more sugar" Indeed! Some of my paleo cookbooks have marshmallow recipes in them, but my goodness...it's a marshmallow. It's a treat. Go all the way.

Thanks for sharing your green bean types. "Jade" is usually an excellent (and tasty) producer, we love that one! Too bad about your French filet types...maybe they're pickier about weather? They are pretty when you can get them to "go" in the garden, plus on the plate.

And your chickens crack me up!

Be sure to make arrangements for drip or other auto watering systems, I don't have them yet but we should be able to add them this fall or winter.

Oh goodness, we will. For years now we have at least used a nylon soaker hose with a timer on the spigot. Even that is wonderfully helpful. You are right, I suppose, about the arsonists...it's just that it is very possible, anymore. :/ Thank you for sharing the soup recipe! That sounds delicious...plus any freezable summer veggie treat is a winner. It's nice to thaw out a jar of July in the middle of February.

@littledog My goodness, I am so glad you and your horses are all right! And so glad that someone called you in time to let you know where your horses had been taken. Horse folk are, in my experience, really kind and decent human beings.

I cannot believe I never thought of orange marshmallows, @WthrLady—orange and chocolate are such good friends, too! You're a genius! Those are probably amazing in hot cocoa.

Also, your description of your hens doing The Dance waiting...oh my goodness. It's a good thing there's not a beverage nearby!

@oldhen2345 I don't think anyone envies you the jasmine. :( We've probably all dealt with invasives one time or another! Vinca is my mortal enemy. Every time I see it the desire to have flames shoot from my fingers overwhelms me. When some garden program or book recommends it...nuclear level unhappiness. And Matilda is actually a sweetie. She can just look very intense!

@Sueby & @NewBoots Me too! There's a restaurant here that tops mine with all the basic trimmings, cheese, bacon OR *locally produced prosciutto* when it's available, caramelized onion, a fried egg, and microgreens or sprouts, as well as a very healthy dollop of aioli. Sweet tater fries on the side (that part is a treat!). I can eat that and be good for days. Trying to eat it like a normal person, though, with a bun, is totally out of the question! At home it's usually your basics (lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup, mayo), some cheese, and sprouts if I've got some going. A local pub puts peanut butter on burgers...and on another burger, a 1" thick slice of bologna.

Hey...I wonder if you could make a salsa (probably not canned, but for the fridge?) including the huckleberries? Or just make a fruit salsa? Cowboy candy is delicious. :)

Those kits are *darling*, @drstratton! Just darling! It is very sad that you lost two; with the big litter you were understandably concerned.

Not much in the garden today other than gathering more greens and more seeds. We're getting to the point where they just sort of pop off the plants as I wander by! The temperature will really drop tonight—down to maybe 50. :/ It is getting to be time to put the PVC and row cover up over the veg bed for winter.

I did knock a big jar of blackstrap molasses off the pantry shelf this morning, so the pantry should smell wildly fabulous for months now. So should the paint scrapers I used to get molasses off the floor.

Not my garden but a field nearby. Our lovely neighbor gave us our annual gift of Olathe Sweet Sweet Corn. One of my favorite things about having a big family is many hands make light work. 24 cases of people corn in the freezer and a pickup bed full of husks, cobs, and rejected corn for the pigs, cows, goats and of course chickens! Fun fact, we found out today that camels like corn too!

Attachments

• 55546.jpg
    55546.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 11
Here's a recipe that I've been wanting to try! Filipino Pork Belly Adobo

https://lowcarbyum.com/filipino-pork-belly-adobo-recipe/
:drool That sounds fantastic!! I saved that thanks Rene. The sandwiches I made were pretty good in flavor, but I don’t think the meat was tender enough, I’ll probably slice the meat thinner next time. I always follow a recipe once, then change it after that to whatever appeals to us.

:drool That sounds fantastic!! I saved that thanks Rene. The sandwiches I made were pretty good in flavor, but I don’t think the meat was tender enough, I’ll probably slice the meat thinner next time. I always follow a recipe once, then change it after that to whatever appeals to us.
You're welcome! It's a low carb recipe so you can change up the sweetener if you want to! I've had the recipe for months, but haven't made it yet! Do you have a pressure cooker? They do an amazing job of making meat tender and infusing flavor!

You're welcome! It's a low carb recipe so you can change up the sweetener if you want to! I've had the recipe for months, but haven't made it yet! Do you have a pressure cooker? They do an amazing job of making meat tender and infusing flavor!
Sure do, one of my favorite tools in the kitchen. I love to use it for veggies for lunch, broccoli and cauliflower in particular.

Back
Top Bottom