What did you do in the garden today?

You guys are making me drool with the marshmallows!

@Compost King this is what I have to start with today, lol. A friend dropped them off & is bringing a ton more this week for me to experiment with. Habaneros, longhorn & cayenne.
IMG_20200914_124150882.jpg

Last edited:
Actual cinnamon rabbits exist? As in...cinnamon buns?

* HMMM Cinnamon Rabbits- sounds like fun to raise. Been thinking about having a couple of rabbits. Will have to research these.

QUOTE That's wonderful. Our volunteer FD is amazing as well, I love those guys. Truly courageous men. Glad you're doing all right—I am praying rain comes to knock out these fires! QUOTE

* I live a block away from the fire department, so if I need them, they are right there. Only issue, every time their sirens go off, my dogs start to howl - sometimes I join in LOL.

QUOTE Actually, saw this AM that multiple arsonists are being charged—quite a few of these fires are being started intentionally. Somewhere up near you the PD found that someone had been going after the wire poles with first an axe, then a chainsaw—they are really trying to get wires down! Terrible. Evil, actually. QUOTE

* Prayers for everyone in the line of fire. I can not wait until this evil is stopped.

QUOTE On a happier note...need that zuc soup recipe! And your sunchokes are so *pretty*! I had no idea. QUOTE

* Zuccini soup sounds fabulous, but about those chocolate zuccini muffins - recipes please

QUOTE Good luck getting rid of the jasmine, @oldhen2345. Invasives are...well, just that. :/ QUOTE
* The entire front of the house and all down the side is solid asian jasmine. I have a couple of nandina bushes in front of them. I plan to remove all of the jasmine and the nandina. Eventually, I will put azaleas in front along the house and maybe a camillia or two behind them. I am going to cover the ground in rocks so no grass - or jasmine - will grow there. It has been a trial to remove that stuff. I even had one man who advertised wanting ground cover. He said he would dig it up if he could have it. I told him to have at it- after 5 minutes, he got in his truck and left. LOL

QUOTE Also gathered still more flower seeds. Never will I stop being delighted over the fact that nasturtium seed look like tiny brains. QUOTE

View attachment 2332336

* Nastertiums and poppies were the first flowers my mother let us plant in our own little gardens. I learned to love gardening from watching these grow. maybe next year I will plant some for nostalgia- they are pretty.

QUOTE And Matilda the EE, also because why not. She's not as angry as she looks.

View attachment 2332353
* Matilda doesn't look angry, she looks sweet. I have a chicken - Alberta- that can really, really look angry.

1600103864263.png

QUOTE Oh! Hubby keeps asking me to decide on a layout for the final BIG veggie garden! It'll be all raised beds. QUOTE

* I have a couple of smaller raised cinder block beds in the back- I love the raised beds. I don't have to try to kneel down or bend over so far to work them. I am thinking next year, I will devote one bed to flowers and one to veggies - we'll see.

I always eat my burgers with a fork because I put waaaay too much stuff on them! & yes, a Dahlia, I just adore them.
And here I thought we were the only ones to do this! I serve them open faced especially if I've made bacon to go on them. Then the ground mix goes on one side and the bacon goes on the other.
Tuesday evening, I was at work and got a text that the barn where I board my horses was under level 3 evacuation, because of the Sumner Grade fire.
Good on you and the other folks that helped, please stay safe.
On days when one box is more popular, for whatever reason they come up with, I swear they stand in line with their little legs crossed, doing the pee pee dance.
:rolleyes: It's so dramatic to be a chicken sometimes.
But, on another day - one on top of another.
These all made me laugh but the picture that @Acre4Me posted, the expression on the dark red hen's face is priceless. She is just doggedly sitting there. :D I love chickens.

Nothing doing in the garden much, once it clears off a little I'll comb the vines for tomatoes, salsa sounds like a good use. I got the most recent batch of huckleberries cleaned and packed in half pound bags in the freezer. Huckleberry pancakes sound good. Today I'm making cowboy candy with the jalapenos and I need to mix the ground beef and pork and get it into 1 pound bags for the freezer. And that brings me to my next interest...

Okay, so what do you folks put on your messy burgers other than ketchup, mustard, and pickle relish? I use, fried onions, raw onions, sauteed mushrooms, fried bacon, sliced tomatoes, and sometimes bbq sauce.

Good morning/afternoon everyone! I've been off grid a bit for the last few days, taking care of the grandbaby! I need to sit down and catch up on what's been going on with everyone here, when I get a chance! In the meantime, here is an update on the kits, 1 week old today!

Daphne was being quite aggressive today, she growled and nip my arm! She's tired of her babies being messed with...silly girl, but she's being a good mama! They have really grown, but their eyes are still closed! A couple looked a little skinnier today! The mini nipples are out for delivery and will be here soon! I'm hoping I can get them to take in some formula to get them plumped up! If they won't, I will bring in the plumper babies again tonight and give the others a chance to nurse! I will then try to get the ones I bring in to drink some formula! I can't remember if I shared here that we lost 2 :( , we now are trying to keep the remaining 11 alive! We have learned a lot through this process and will be better prepared and have a game plan from the beginning, if we ever get this many again!

9.14.2020 Daphne's Kits at 1 Week.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning/afternoon everyone! I've been off grid a bit for the last few days, taking care of the grandbaby! I need to sit down and catch up on what's been going on with everyone here, when I get a chance! In the meantime, here is an update on the kits, 1 week old today!

Daphne was being quite aggressive today, she growled and nip my arm! She's tired of her babies being messed with...silly girl, but she's being a good mama! They have really grown, but their eyes are still closed! A couple looked a little skinnier today! The mini nipples are out for delivery and will be here soon! I'm hoping I can get them to take in some formula to get them plumped up! If they won't, I will bring in the plumper babies again tonight and give the others a chance to nurse! I will then try to get the ones I bring in to drink some formula! I can't remember if I shared here that we lost 2 :( , we now are trying to keep the remaining 11 alive! We have learned a lot through this process and will be better prepared and have a game plan from the beginning, if we ever get this many again!

View attachment 2333481

Garden Pellet makers!

Back
Top Bottom