What did you do in the garden today?

@Compost King I've decided to grow a bunch of hot peppers next year so I can make a good hot sauce. DH loves it & can't find much hot enough unless I special order on the web so I'm gonna give it a shot. Do you have any favorites I should grow for a good hot sauce?

Ha! It's funny you say that—here in the next couple of weeks our pastor wants to do a "bring your lunch" thing so we can all hang out and enjoy lunch together after service, and of course he mentioned sandwiches. "Who eats sandwiches anymore?" I asked my husband (who sensibly pointed out that burgers are, in fact, sandwiches...I do love a good burger...difficult to bring in to church, though!). (Knife and fork burgers, all the way.) (You can fit more goodies onto the burger that way!)

Was that a dahlia? GORGEOUS!
I always eat my burgers with a fork because I put waaaay too much stuff on them! & yes, a Dahlia, I just adore them.

What green bean varieties did you grow this year, @Acre4Me? Also, making marshmallows is such fun. Plus nearly everyone loves them! A true treat, especially compared to the store stuff in a bag.
I have never had homemade marshmallows! Please do post pics @Acre4Me

I did some weeding Sat am & have been on the heating pad ever since. :rolleyes: I have a gallon ziplock of green beans I need to take care of today. I think I probably have a couple more squash to pick too. I'll probably just grate & freeze it because my back says no to anything more than that!

I hope the rain is coming out west. My aunt & uncle are now wearing masks inside, it looks bad out there. Stay safe west coasters!

It makes me mad someone would leave chickens in a box somewhere - especially in the heat! :mad: I hope they turn out to be great girls, thank you for taking them in @igorsMistress - they are very pretty.

Have a great day all.

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_070917073.jpg
    IMG_20200701_070917073.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Tuesday evening, I was at work and got a text that the barn where I board my horses was under level 3 evacuation, because of the Sumner Grade fire. Rushed home to pick up my trailer, by the time I got near the barn the road was closed, I was panicking. Got a call the horses were on their way to a fairgrounds about 10 miles away, at Frontier Park in Graham. I turned around and met everybody there. Horses from other barns in the evacuation zone were taking shelter there, too.
I spent 3 nights there, doing night hay, lugging water buckets, picking stalls, turning out horses with their pasture buddies in the adjacent paddock, doing it all over again in the morning. All the horses were stars. They remained calm, nobody colicked or got injured.

The Frontier Park staff were so supportive and helpful. The Pierce County Parks director came out to talk to us and offer anything we needed. People in the local horse community came out of the woodwork to donate hay, shavings, water, apples...
I can't even begin to express how grateful we are.

Friday the evacuation was lifted. The fires were still smoldering, but it was contained, so those of us with trailers were able to take the horses back home, two by two.

The air quality here is still really bad, but the boarded horses as well as the hippotherapy horses at our barn, are once again home and safe. If anyone would like to donate or just find out more about the hippotherapy program we have at our barn, shoot me an IM and I'll connect you to the website, no pressure.

Here at home, we don't seem to have much damage except for branches down all over the place, and a big one came down on the new chicken yard I just got done building, and tore a hole in the roof. No chickens were in there, since I hadn't got the door done yet, yay for procrastination!

I have seeds in. I haven't tried it before. How do you like to eat spaghetti squash?
I cut it down the middle instead of length ways to get longer "noodles" then I scooped out the seeds and cook it in my Instant Pot. Once it is finished cooking and cooled you can take a fork and pull out the "noodles". You can use them as a pasta substitute in just about anything. Our favorite is spaghetti squash with alfredo or pesto.

I have seeds in. I haven't tried it before. How do you like to eat spaghetti squash?
I cut the squash in half and put it cut side down on parchment paper or a silicone mat and cook at 350 until soft. I remove it from the oven and then, using a fork, shred the insides out. Then I serve with marinara sauce, or a nice alfredo sauce, or even just butter salt pepper and parm cheese.

Tuesday evening, I was at work and got a text that the barn where I board my horses was under level 3 evacuation, because of the Sumner Grade fire. Rushed home to pick up my trailer, by the time I got near the barn the road was closed, I was panicking. Got a call the horses were on their way to a fairgrounds about 10 miles away, at Frontier Park in Graham. I turned around and met everybody there. Horses from other barns in the evacuation zone were taking shelter there, too.
I spent 3 nights there, doing night hay, lugging water buckets, picking stalls, turning out horses with their pasture buddies in the adjacent paddock, doing it all over again in the morning. All the horses were stars. They remained calm, nobody colicked or got injured.

The Frontier Park staff were so supportive and helpful. The Pierce County Parks director came out to talk to us and offer anything we needed. People in the local horse community came out of the woodwork to donate hay, shavings, water, apples...
I can't even begin to express how grateful we are.

Friday the evacuation was lifted. The fires were still smoldering, but it was contained, so those of us with trailers were able to take the horses back home, two by two.

The air quality here is still really bad, but the boarded horses as well as the hippotherapy horses at our barn, are once again home and safe. If anyone would like to donate or just find out more about the hippotherapy program we have at our barn, shoot me an IM and I'll connect you to the website, no pressure.

Here at home, we don't seem to have much damage except for branches down all over the place, and a big one came down on the new chicken yard I just got done building, and tore a hole in the roof. No chickens were in there, since I hadn't got the door done yet, yay for procrastination!
And this is what the REAL world is like, people helping people.

Do they actually wait in line? Is it by rank? I know one of our lower ranked girls had to wait for the top pullet to get done before she laid her egg in the same nest.
It's whoever gets there first & yes, they literally wait in line, crazy birds. Usually one in the box, one standing directly in front of her squawking like crazy & then a line out the door:
IMG_20200701_070917073.jpg

It's whoever gets there first & yes, they literally wait in line, crazy birds. Usually one in the box, one standing directly in front of her squawking like crazy & then a line out the door:View attachment 2333170
My higher rank girls will bully themselves in and sit on TOP OF lower ranking ones. On days when one box is more popular, for whatever reason they come up with, I swear they stand in line with their little legs crossed, doing the pee pee dance.

Only once have I seen 2 chickens in a box, but it's big enough they were next to each other, I keep expecting to see someone sitting on another but I haven't come across that yet! The older one that is no longer laying will use the other box if she absolutely has to, but no one else will - they just also do the pee pee dance. :rolleyes: It's so dramatic to be a chicken sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom