What did you do in the garden today?

I’m processing my dill pickles right now. Tomorrow is dedicated to peaches. I have tons of peaches to deal with. I canned SM tomato sauce yesterday and the Roma’s I bought at the town farmers market. My countertop is arriving next Wednesday. OMG! So much to do. I have enough SM tomatoes for at least one more batch, hopefully 2. Will see.

Absolutely nothing...dealing with heavy rain from the hurricane
I wish we could share out the rain, so many with too much or too little.

I just got 2 cases of qt and 3 cases of pt canning jars for about $63 total and I'm happy. Still won't be enough but I just didn't appreciate how much more canning I would be doing this year and didn't buy enough earlier in the year. Gonna haunt garage sales this weekend and see if I can find more. I'm great for lids so just need more jars now.

And here's our new girl, Penny! We pick her up on Friday!
Resized_20210829_155102 (2).jpeg

Oh and I think we had a close call with a hawk today. I didn't see it, I was just around the corner of the house and I heard a crash and a terrified scream from Pepita (in a hard molt after breaking from a long brood) and she cut a hard left from the run door. Everyone else was already far back into the run and under the coop. I had to coax her out from the various bushes she'd run to for cover. She would not come out into the open. Her last few tail feathers were gone but I checked her all over and she wasn't wounded in any way. None of the other ladies wanted to come out of the run as they usually do if I'm nearby. I think we dodged a bullet.

I found my first hornworm of the season, as big and fat as my middle finger. I know there are some on the cherry tomato plant as I see the damage, but cannot find it/them. I pulled the plant from the ground (it was time), and I'll find it in a couple of days.

Picked another 6 qts worth of sauce tonight before another day of rain tomorrow. Lots of tomatoes out there, just slow going and battling BER with all the rain. The calcium is leaching faster than I can replace it. And at this point I'm not sure it's worth it as it takes a couple of weeks to make it to the plant and into the growing tomatoes.

I'm also starting to collect the zinnia and marigold seeds again. I have loose plans for a giant zinnia bed next year, but NOT in the garden proper.

Oh and I think we had a close call with a hawk today. I didn't see it, I was just around the corner of the house and I heard a crash and a terrified scream from Pepita (in a hard molt after breaking from a long brood) and she cut a hard left from the run door. Everyone else was already far back into the run and under the coop. I had to coax her out from the various bushes she'd run to for cover. She would not come out into the open. Her last few tail feathers were gone but I checked her all over and she wasn't wounded in any way. None of the other ladies wanted to come out of the run as they usually do if I'm nearby. I think we dodged a bullet.
Lucky hen.

Back
Top Bottom