What did you do in the garden today?

Morning everyone. Looks like we got like 6-7 inches of rain or so. I have a big limb on the bird netting, I'll need DH to help me with that one but it doesn't look like it ripped at all so that's good. All but 2 of the girls must have missed the auto door last night, they slept outside but are all still alive. :smackMy fault, I should have double checked on them knowing it was dark early & raining sooo hard.

Looks done raining but the severe flood alarms keep going off. Guessing I'll have a bunch of split tomatoes & some beans to pick today. I have one more cuke on the last of the vines, I'll probably tear them out too. Bout it for here!

Last edited:
Haven't been able to post much. Been canning up a storm here. So far Ive canned:
48 qts of tomatoes
18 qts of pickles
26 pts of green beans
6 pts of salsa
My cukes are about done for the season and my tomatoes are dwindling. Beans and peppers are still growing strong and my zukes wont quit. Ive given away sooooo many zukes I've had to start selling them because even my family is sick of them. Not gonna grow it next year...too much frozen to eat up. My garden is completely overgrown with weeds because I havent had time to weed AND can.

Good morning gardeners. I guess we lucked out on the rain here @Sueby. Only around three inches here. I really didn't sleep all that well with the noise the rain was making, the sump pump running, and my neighbor (who happens to be in the water pump business) leaving at 5 am. But all is well here. I picked up more pine shavings yesterday and sure enough I used the last third of the old bag throwing shavings down in all three chicken runs. Despite being covered that much rain does find its way inside. My first attempt at making dill pickles seems to be a success. Today is being devoted to peaches. I didn't pick anything during my garden walk except for the 3 peaches that had fallen off the tree. Tomorrow I'll have pole beans, okra and maybe a few more lima beans and tomatoes. Oh, and of course, more peaches! This is turning out to be a super busy month for me. It will likely be another week before I can get caught up with the canning and freezing. Then the countertop installers are coming on Wednesday. I'm so looking forward to not only the new countertops but the new sink and faucet. My old faucet leaks horribly and that's why I pushed the countertop installation for now instead of next winter. In between all this chaos the carrots, poblano peppers and jalapenos are doing very well. The fall planting of kale and rutabagas are a little iffy, and the chard is finally dwindling. I can't complain about the chard, it's been going strong all summer. Happy canning everyone!

Dill Pickles 2021.JPG

I wish we could share out the rain, so many with too much or too little.

I just got 2 cases of qt and 3 cases of pt canning jars for about $63 total and I'm happy. Still won't be enough but I just didn't appreciate how much more canning I would be doing this year and didn't buy enough earlier in the year. Gonna haunt garage sales this weekend and see if I can find more. I'm great for lids so just need more jars now.

And here's our new girl, Penny! We pick her up on Friday!
View attachment 2819364
Penny is lucky to have a good home and I appreciate that! Dogs are special animals, that depend on us and teach us, as much, as we try to teach them! I hope you have a great relationship that last for many years!

It looks so pretty! Looks like it's made of rose petals but it's crabapple jelly!
View attachment 2819660

Processing now and it tastes lovely.
My mother made crab apple jelly most years and I love it! I have some apple trees, but neglected to plant crabapples. I have picked them from friends trees some years and made jelly. The picture of yours reminded me I have not done that in years! Peanut butter and crabapple jelly was a most common, afterschool, snack at our home in the 1950's and 60's!

My impatiens are hanging in the back porch to adjust to being inside again. The pumpkins seem to still be growing, and I played with the Roma bush. I have rot on all of the red and orange fruit, so I picked some green ones. If they don’t rot, great! If they do, I’ll pick and freeze the other greens that look good. I use them for a sweet relish.

Haven't been able to post much. Been canning up a storm here. So far Ive canned:
48 qts of tomatoes
18 qts of pickles
26 pts of green beans
6 pts of salsa
My cukes are about done for the season and my tomatoes are dwindling. Beans and peppers are still growing strong and my zukes wont quit. Ive given away sooooo many zukes I've had to start selling them because even my family is sick of them. Not gonna grow it next year...too much frozen to eat up. My garden is completely overgrown with weeds because I havent had time to weed AND can.
I might not grow cukes next year for the same reason you will not grow zukes. I have roughly 60 qts of pickles. I will not need to make pickles next year as these will last me two years I'm sure. I might just grow a few straight eight cuke plants next year for fresh eating in salads and such. Any extra next year will be given away or turned into chips I think (if I like them as I am just now working on a batch of pickle chips for the first time). I also will not grow corn again. I'm sick of the squirrels getting it.
I'm going to grow more pumpkins, garlic and parsnips next year. I think I'm going to grow more tomatoes even though I had 48 plants this year. I like my sauce and salsa and I like them thick. It's amazing how I can turn 4 trays of tomatoes (filling my oven completely) into just 8 pints of salsa. It's darn good though. I just need more. I'd also like more flowers, as I've really enjoyed having the marigolds and sunflowers this year. I was supposed to have two long, narrow flower beds along the garden fence this year, but I didn't get them developed. I'm now killing the grass where the flowers will go next year, but I also have a bunch of firewood stacked on top of the weed fabric I'm using to smother the grass, so I'll need to find a new home for all that wood come Spring if I'm going to plant flowers there.

I did a lot more garlic, shallots & onions & less tomatoes & squash this year & I'm glad I did. I've decided in my old age it's better to take up garden space & my time with things that grow without pests & I can store for months & will not go to waste. Cukes, squash & tomatoes are always a crap shoot, onions & garlic always do well. Thats my new philosophy anyway!

I have a batch of bones from our cow roasting, making a giant pot of beef broth. That should be the last batch of bones.

@Wee Farmer Sarah I didn't sleep well either. Power went out at around midnight & I never went back to sleep. :he

The birds are so traumatized from sleeping outside I only got 2 eggs today - I usually get 6-7. Oops. LOL

Back
Top Bottom