What did you do in the garden today?

They love the Japanese beetles too! Bugs in, eggs out.

They are easy to catch. Get a wide mouthed container with a lid. Put about 1" of water in the container. Hold the container under whatever plant material the JBs are on, tap the leaf/flower/whatever, and they will fall into the water. Their defense is to let go and fall if they are disturbed. You don't need any soap in the water to break the surface tension; they don't try to fly away. If they look like they might try that, I swirl/shake up the container.

When I "serve" them to the chickens, I dump them into a large pan of water.

I say, "Bug snack! Bug snack!" and the chickens come running!
My rotten wenches won't touch Japanese Beetles!

I generally use San Marz for sauce - they grow well here & are hearty.

I am going to look into cloth I've decided. Does anyone have any that they like? Ya'll seemed to not like the stuff you used, lol.

Do squash bugs lay their eggs in the ground? Wouldn't that make netting moot? I wonder about cuke beetles too.

So my sweet MIL sent me an AeroGarden. I'm excited to grow some indoor herbs. It'll be nice to not have to walk out in the snow or rain or hot or whatever to grab some for dinner. We'll see how it works out.
IMG_20220110_195646726_HDR.jpg

Super cold here, I thought my eggs would be frozen by the time I got home from work, but alas no one laid a single egg today. :gig I don't blame them, too cold to do a darn thing.

I see a few people don't like Gurneys but I've bought stuff from them since 2012. I got all of my orchard trees, raspberry and blackberry bushes, blueberries, and garden seeds.
If a tree died they sent replacements or gave me my money back. Some corn I got from them didn't produce very well and I let them know and they gave me back my money.
I've been buying their fruit tree fertilizer, it's expensive and I'd like to get something local, but it makes my trees thrive. I also get most of their other fertilizer such as tomato, onion, asparagus and blueberry ones.

Do squash bugs lay their eggs in the ground? Wouldn't that make netting moot? I wonder about cuke beetles too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will try to answer from memory . Cucumber beetles are the adult form of the corn root worm . We have fewer since they started GMO corn with stacked genetics that I guess has something to control them . Memory says the squash bugs lay eggs on the underside of the leaves . Kind of yellow-gold color . I think the larva overwinter in the ground but it seems they can do multiple generations in one season also . Someone will fact check me .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will try to answer from memory . Cucumber beetles are the adult form of the corn root worm . We have fewer since they started GMO corn with stacked genetics that I guess has something to control them . Memory says the squash bugs lay eggs on the underside of the leaves . Kind of yellow-gold color . I think the larva overwinter in the ground but it seems they can do multiple generations in one season also . Someone will fact check me .
I plan on spraying and using the netting on a raised bed.

Ok I checked some facts . Squash bugs overwinter as adults in debris . Rootworms are not cucumber beetles . :confused:

I fed my orchids today and look what I found! I might get a flower! Someone bought these for me in the middle of 2019 as a moving gift. They were flowering when I got them, and I think I got a couple of flowers in late 2019, but they haven't flowered since. I learned about a year later that they need food (duh, they aren't getting many nutrients as a houseplant), and have been trying to keep a consistent feeding schedule. They seem happy about it!

BF767864-44A0-499F-8A19-7170DB94ABA7.jpeg

My rotten wenches won't touch Japanese Beetles!

I generally use San Marz for sauce - they grow well here & are hearty.

I am going to look into cloth I've decided. Does anyone have any that they like? Ya'll seemed to not like the stuff you used, lol.

So my sweet MIL sent me an AeroGarden. I'm excited to grow some indoor herbs. It'll be nice to not have to walk out in the snow or rain or hot or whatever to grab some for dinner. We'll see how it works out.View attachment 2957235

Super cold here, I thought my eggs would be frozen by the time I got home from work, but alas no one laid a single egg today. :gig I don't blame them, too cold to do a darn thing.
For squash bugs I've heard aluminum foil around the base of plants works. That said, you need to keep the plant of the ground for it to work, so staking or trellising it's necessary. Another option is weed fabric, would poses a real obstacle for the bus to get through between the soil and the plants.

Back
Top Bottom