What did you do in the garden today?

Oops. I forgot that I need to clean my seed starting supplies. I just need to do that at the end of using them. Then, I get to just pull them out at the beginning of the season.

I do have questions about succession planting. It all makes sense in my head, but I get really confused when I try to plan out how much needs to be started first. Is it as simple as planting a few of the variety to start, and then just waiting a week to plant more, and waiting another week, etc. until I get the amount I've planned for? I wouldn't be at all surprised if I was over complicating it and that's why I'm getting confused.
Yes. That is how you do it - often used for quick to grow things like radish or salad turnips. But can be used for anything you want an extended harvest.

The other type is spring/fast growth followed by the regular type veg. So, early peas, then plant your tomatoes or something else there for rest of main season.

Somebody recently mentioned getting small beds for herbs. Here's another option to grow up in compact spaces if needed:
Mr. Stacky 5 Tier Stackable Strawberry, Herb, Flower, and Vegetable Planter - Vertical Garden Indoor/Outdoor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TFTW3U/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_7J7088E8D0F7D5E240T3
$35 doesn't seem bad for 5 tiers.
That was me! :frow I wanted in ground beds so my herbs will (hopefully) overwinter outside better. Thanks for the suggestion tho. I would think in a year round growing climate that could be a good idea for herbs for sure.

My littles have integrated so well with the big girls. I know it's because I only have 1 mean red left. :gig Boy do I miss the winter eggs of those reds though! I've had chickens for years & never had so many birds & so little eggs. Slackers! This was my first year experiencing a REAL molt too. Sheesh mother nature is harsh.

That was me! :frow I wanted in ground beds so my herbs will (hopefully) overwinter outside better. Thanks for the suggestion tho. I would think in a year round growing climate that could be a good idea for herbs for sure.

My littles have integrated so well with the big girls. I know it's because I only have 1 mean red left. :gig Boy do I miss the winter eggs of those reds though! I've had chickens for years & never had so many birds & so little eggs. Slackers! This was my first year experiencing a REAL molt too. Sheesh mother nature is harsh.

I placed an order at our usual hatchery -a smaller one, but healthy chicks and I can drive there to pick up. I’ve been calling bc I ordered before they started setting eggs, so they indicated I should call back to verify once they are set. Sometimes, early season, some aren’t laying yet. Today I found out I cannot pick up my chicks next week, but I can the following week, as they know what is in the incubators. BUT, I could take the BSL and RIR in the incubator now, which will hatch next week. No thanks! I’ll wait for the better personalities!

Prior to speaking with them Today, I had been trying to call them. But, this time of year they are just in for short periods of the day, so I hadn’t gotten ahold of them. Worried about getting chicks in time for 4-H summer fair, where we need young egg layers, that are actually laying eggs, I started looking at Meyer website. WOW! Prices have gone up, even for assortments. So, I’m glad I’ll be able to get chicks from my usual place. Yay, chicks!! :jumpy

So I discovered there are tomato varieties that can set seedless fruit if not pollinated . I have grown one Siletz . Did not know this about it . Bred for cool spring conditions . I grew it for a early slicer . Since I always have more than one variety I had seeds in mine . I actually like the taste of gel on seeds . Yes I have been reading seed catalogs and watching youtube gardening videos . Waiting patiently for spring .

I placed an order at our usual hatchery -a smaller one, but healthy chicks and I can drive there to pick up. I’ve been calling bc I ordered before they started setting eggs, so they indicated I should call back to verify once they are set. Sometimes, early season, some aren’t laying yet. Today I found out I cannot pick up my chicks next week, but I can the following week, as they know what is in the incubators. BUT, I could take the BSL and RIR in the incubator now, which will hatch next week. No thanks! I’ll wait for the better personalities!

Prior to speaking with them Today, I had been trying to call them. But, this time of year they are just in for short periods of the day, so I hadn’t gotten ahold of them. Worried about getting chicks in time for 4-H summer fair, where we need young egg layers, that are actually laying eggs, I started looking at Meyer website. WOW! Prices have gone up, even for assortments. So, I’m glad I’ll be able to get chicks from my usual place. Yay, chicks!! :jumpy

bsl - black sex link? I have never had issues with them. they are the only hybrid I like. good layers, good meat birds and they are suitable for mixed flocks - that is my experience. one of them even got broody and was a good mother.

bsl - black sex link? I have never had issues with them. they are the only hybrid I like. good layers, good meat birds and they are suitable for mixed flocks - that is my experience. one of them even got broody and was a good mother.
Yes, I’ve generally heard BSL are pretty good in temperament. However, I think RIR are a part of the genetics for a BSL (unless I’m not remembering correctly). So, like any breed, the strain can make a difference. The person at the hatchery indicated the BSL and RIR were similar in temperament.

So I discovered there are tomato varieties that can set seedless fruit if not pollinated . I have grown one Siletz . Did not know this about it . Bred for cool spring conditions . I grew it for a early slicer . Since I always have more than one variety I had seeds in mine . I actually like the taste of gel on seeds . Yes I have been reading seed catalogs and watching youtube gardening videos . Waiting patiently for spring .
Interesting. I thought tomatoes were self-pollinating. To get unpollinated fruit would mean the flower must have short stamen and/or a long pistel. I guess it could lack stamen also, but I never heard of a tomato that was not hermaphroditic - I'm far from a botanist though.

Back
Top Bottom