What did you do in the garden today?

Hi all, new plan. I’m going to plant half of the walking onions in pots in the shade garden and the rest in the garden. We’ll see how that goes. I cut down one of the red Mexican birds of paradise, have to dig that out tomorrow, cut back the other one and did a major trim on the yellow bells in the xeriscape garden. The potato bush still needs a trim. It has opened up that area a bit and looks better, all the bushes were pretty much the same height. I’m going to the nursery tomorrow to find either Asian star jasmine or star jasmine to grow as a low groundcover in that garden. I might have to replace the Texas sage, I’ll give it a little more time to see new growth before I dig it out…maybe. The lilac that hasn’t shipped yet is going in the garden with the apple tree to help shade the apple from the afternoon sun a little bit in summer. I also need to pick up some more dirt for the area where I’m putting the lilac so it’s ready. So far the elephant ears are surviving the transplant, I still need to mulch those.

Okay, so I have never been successful at growing carrots. I’m guessing maybe I need more sand in my soil or something? 🤷‍♀️
Where are my carrot growing experts to give me advice?
I’m zone 6. I’ve tried growing carrots in the regular in ground garden and in the raised bed garden. Didn’t really have much luck with either. Maybe a tad better in the raised bed. I get some sprouts but they never seem to amount to much. Any help will be appreciated. 😁

Okay, so I have never been successful at growing carrots. I’m guessing maybe I need more sand in my soil or something? 🤷‍♀️
I’m zone 6. I’ve tried growing carrots in the regular in ground garden and in the raised bed garden. Didn’t really have much luck with either. Maybe a tad better in the raised bed. I get some sprouts but they never seem to amount to much. Any help will be appreciated. 😁

I feel your pain!

I was thinking to plant them in a deep pot with soft soil.

This is what I put the brown onions sold to me as walking onion
005.jpg

First: carrots seem to take forever to grow it seems! I plant them with other things so I don’t have to watch them not grow. Then, amazingly, I get carrots!

Second: there are three types of carrots: Nantes (straight, blunt end, like finger), Chantenay (larger at stem end and taper at root end), and Imperorator (long snd skinny - typically 10” or longer). We have best luck with Nantes type. But don’t shy away from others.

They need sun to grow, but can tolerate some shade. They are good companion plants. I plant them in with the tomatoes, but I try to make sure they are planted where the shade they get is not excessive from the tomato foliage. I also plant them near my bush beans.

Plant seeds direct. Tiny seeds, so easy to over sow the seeds. Try to lightly sow bc then thinning them is easier. You want to thin them but I just thin any excessive areas, then when a bit bigger, with more obvious real leaves, I’ll thin again. Keep moist for first weeks bc they can dry out. You can check on the size by brushing away some soil from around the top of the root, brush it back if you want it to stay in the ground. Some will get large and split, so it’s good to keep track of growth time and by pulling one or two to see how they are doing. Carrots can be left in the ground, protected, through the winter-pick as needed. But they also store well once picked and kept cold, or can them.

We’ve had decent success with carrots, but I can’t grow much in the way of cucumbers!

No rocks in your soil, the soil should be light, no clay and make sure you keep them moist at first, like for the first month or so. They are super tiny and need frequent watering rather than deep. Thinning is also important, I usually have to do it two or three times before I’m happy. Scarlet Nantes are an excellent variety and don’t grow a long root, but make up for it in flavor!

Back
Top Bottom