What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. I was at the nursery this morning before they even finished moving the racks of vegetables and such out front. Contrary to what I read, Asian star jasmine doesn’t do well here in hell’s full sun so I went with a Carolina Jessamine instead. Darker yellow flowers, but likes the sun. I dug out the roots from the Mexican bird of paradise I cut down yesterday. Those were serious roots! The jessamine is in the ground though so hopefully it’ll grow well this year. I can’t believe how much better the soil is in that area! I was able to dig down at least a foot which used to be impossible. The mulch and such has really helped. I noticed the aloes are going to bloom soon, the resident hummingbirds will be quite happy about that. I’m not sure about the chaste trees, I am not seeing any progress this far. If they don’t have leaves by the end of the month I’m tossing them, which is irritating. That’s it for now, need to go move the hose to the next plant and put in the onions and borage.

Talking about carrots, I've had very minimal success. I did successfully grow parsnips last year though. I have learned a few things, like rocks and heavy soil are bad and also nobody mentioned they do not do well with weeds. You really need to weed your carrot bed very well and very often.
Somebody mentioned they were woody, this happened with a few parsnips. It turns out I left them in the ground too long. Planting time and picking time are important. If storing in the ground you still need to remove the tops to stop growth. Digging them up and burying them laying down in a shallow while covered with a cloth, then dirt and then plenty of mulch (straw works well) is a good way to store carrots and other root vegetables from what I've read and watched (there was actually a black and white video clip posted by somebody on this forum last year that was informational on storing them).

Was a good day. A nice lady who buys eggs from us also bought 3 female bunnies from the grow out pen for pets so those girls won the lottery! Egg sales have been going well and I've got a few folks who say they'll be by to buy tomatoes once that season begins. Not everyone in town has great luck growing them (raised beds for the win).

Nothing in the garden when below zero temps. I am living through all of you with nice weather, and must admit I am a tad jealous. I cant wait to get my hands in the dirt.
I no you're north of my, but WI isn't all that far from Chicagoland. Below zero is rough. We're in the 20s today and tomorrow. Hopefully you start climbing back uo like us then. Expecting 40s again on Wednesday here.

Nothing in the garden when below zero temps. I am living through all of you with nice weather, and must admit I am a tad jealous. I cant wait to get my hands in the dirt.
Those of us gardening now will be living vicariously through the rest of you in summer :hugs

Those of us gardening now will be living vicariously through the rest of you in summer :hugs
Yes! But, you have a shade garden. I don’t recall if this is only for perennial type plants or if you garden food items in there? Is that a common way to extend the season or to grow items in such an intensely sunny/hot area?

Been around 9 ' all weekend. Currently there is just enough moisture to squeeze ice crystals out of the air, so tiny diamonds are flitting about in the sunshine, cold sunshine.
Nothing gardening today except planning for tomorrow - I'll get the lower wall on the hoop house framed, then the hoops up on Tuesday. We'll be near 50 again for those two days.

The mum seeds are still in their container in the kitchen, which is resting on the heat vent for warmth. A new cynth bulb is over water and hiding in the dark. We've had less than half and inch of moisture all winter, I have no idea if the 100+ daff bulbs I planted will even make it. Sigh.

I started more seeds last night. Now I have to sit on my hands so I don’t start any more as I think the rest need to be started in March or later.
I am a bit nervous for May. We are going out to Palm Springs , CA at the beginning of May and then driving to AZ ( Phoenix ) after Mother’s Day.
I am thinking I will plant out half of my starts before I leave. That way they have a better chance of staying alive 🤞but if we get a late cold snap while I’m gone then hopefully the starts inside can replace the starts outside.
It’s tough having to depend on friends to take care of your garden while your gone. 😞🥴
They do alright with the dogs, cat, chickens and rabbits ( and now my husband added an aquarium ) but the garden has usually not fared well. St least it will be early in the season this time so I can restart if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom