What did you do in the garden today?

Good afternoon gardeners. I went out and watered sprouts and seeds on a break, that’s pretty much it today. I just got off work and am screwing around until the boys get home. All three dogs get a bath this afternoon, super fun! I think we’re going to have pizza tonight, I got a wee headache and we have a change of weather coming so don’t feel like doing anything. Can’t put off the doggie baths though. Sigh. Anyway, @Sueby I know I already said it, but I love your garden space, it’s homey. I love all the trees around too. Anyway, I’m rambling so I’ll get out here. Have a good night all.

Chilly and rainy today for the first time in a month, didn't do anything besides pull the shade cloth off the greenhouse again. Most of the seeds I started recently have sprouted, including the flat I forgot to label that is indeed chives. I've never started eggplant from seed before, they are slower than tomatoes and probably peppers too.

Cut down 2 very large branches of a red bud tree that was trying to move the roof off the Americana Cabana. I was very happy that I got it done with dropping either branch through the roof of that coop!
I also started moving the fence posts out to enlarge that yard. I’m hoping /expecting the chickens to kill off the ivy thst the previous owners planted that is taking over the woods and starting to kill trees.
The ivy climbs the trees and over time the little viney roots pry up the bark on the trees 😞
I have a lot more work to do tomorrow to get it to the place I want it. But the chickens were already thrilled with the expansion as they have killed off pretty much everything that was in their yard except for trees.

Cut down 2 very large branches of a red bud tree that was trying to move the roof off the Americana Cabana. I was very happy that I got it done with dropping either branch through the roof of that coop!
I also started moving the fence posts out to enlarge that yard. I’m hoping /expecting the chickens to kill off the ivy thst the previous owners planted that is taking over the woods and starting to kill trees.
The ivy climbs the trees and over time the little viney roots pry up the bark on the trees 😞
I have a lot more work to do tomorrow to get it to the place I want it. But the chickens were already thrilled with the expansion as they have killed off pretty much everything that was in their yard except for trees.

I think ivy is toxic to chickens.

Once the panels are up and square with temporary braces, I'll work out the framing for the end bits, come up with a lumber shopping list, and custom build a door. The sides, below the panels, will be painted ply and on hinges so they can be raised and lowered for ventilation. At least that's the plan for now.
That looks like it's going to be amazing! All your hard work is definitely going to pay off.
I need to figure out a good way to make signs. I used Sharpies but they fade away within a month or so. I've tried other kinds of tags but they disintegrate.
Call me crazy, but I think I'm going to try crayons this year. Everything else I've tried fades and/or disintegrates.
So I'm pretty pumped to see the tiny little leaf buds. Surely that's a good sign that there's hope of a recovery of some kind.
Yay! Glad your lemon will survive! We took a close look at all our trees the other day, to figure out what needs replacing after last summer's heat wave stressed them. To our surprise, some of the ones we thought were dead are getting tiny buds. Even a couple of the ones from Gurney's, LOL.
I put up a hoop last fall between 2 raised beds, can't wait to grow my beans on it
That's brilliant. What a great way to squeeze out more growing space! I might have to try that.

Got my order from Baker Creek today! So excited to start seeds, but I need to wait at least a couple more weeks. They gave me a free packet of poppies - wasn't sure where to plant them, but now I can make room by using @Sueby's in-between-the -beds method. Can anybody advise me what plants would like poppies as a companion?

Last night when I had trouble falling asleep, I had a thought that kept me awake for even longer. I can't take the chickens down to the garden to scratch up/eat the grass and sod that invades from the edges, but I could dig up the sod and take it to them. Piecemeal free range.

The roots don't break down/die in the compost very fast, but the chickens will take care of them, I bet.

Now I just need the ground to thaw.

Back
Top Bottom