What did you do in the garden today?

I wonder how much of this is BS like the coofie was BS.

With that, god it makes me sick to my stomach, all that wasted food and lives...

Ok, so it had the flu, they can't still eat it? I mean, do a deal with campbells soup or something, make a butt ton of chicken noodle soup, the heat of cooking should nuke the flu right? It's just horrible, all that going to waste.

Aaron

half a million lives taken for ZERO purpose, it's just incomprehensible. How many acres of chickens is that even?
I read on the usda site that birds and eggs are still fine to eat.
However they are killing everything and saying don't worry it's not going in the food supply?.
So who knows what. Like usual the government is jerking us around.
My guess, is that these birds are too small to butcher so are just being culled.

The field grass. One thing I have done that can control it a little bit, somewhat, sort of. and you can't really use this too close to other plants.

Pour Salt, Saltwater on it, it gets into the roots and kills it, BUT is fairly harmless, and eventually washes away with the rain and no poisons / toxins / chemicals you can't pronounce getting into your veggies.

Aaron
I would think the salt would play havoc on your soil?

I tried this concoction below on some weeds that kept invading one of my flower beds. I direct-sprayed the weed though....didn't pour it so it wouldn't go into the soil.

The most common homemade solution is some combination of vinegar, salt, and/or soap. Generally one gallon of vinegar, one cup of salt, and one tablespoon of soap. There are numerous variations on the recipe but the resulting concoction is usually a pretty good non-selective weed killer.

We do have some pasture grass that sneaks into the yard from....yep the pasture, lol. Most of our yard is typical junk yard grass, so once it gets dug up it doesn't come back too bad mostly just the weeds. now crab grass.....pretty but ugh.

Looks like our extension office is about 30 min away, so I will connect with them for a soil sample, thanks all!

@Wee Farmer Sarah - how far from you is Rockingham county NH? Looks like they culled 80 birds.
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 3.07.07 PM.png

We do have some pasture grass that sneaks into the yard from....yep the pasture, lol. Most of our yard is typical junk yard grass, so once it gets dug up it doesn't come back too bad mostly just the weeds. now crab grass.....pretty but ugh.

Looks like our extension office is about 30 min away, so I will connect with them for a soil sample, thanks all!
I mailed mine in last year! Might be easier if it's an option.

Strawberries are fairly hardy, unless it's getting in the mid to low teens I don't think the frost will hurt them very much. Luckily wind chill does not really tear up plants that bad either. The big killer from what I have seen over the years is desiccation. Water them right before the freeze and a bit after to keep them plump and happy.

Aaron
No water here till (real) spring! & we're talking freeze, not just frost. It'll only take me 5 minutes, I'd rather be safe. Not sure why, I don't even want the stupid berries, I need the room for veggies since I screwed up my plans but I'm in too deep with the berries now. :lau

I read on the usda site that birds and eggs are still fine to eat.
However they are killing everything and saying don't worry it's not going in the food supply?.
So who knows what. Like usual the government is jerking us around.
My guess, is that these birds are too small to butcher so are just being culled.
It's all 580,000 broilers on the age rotation at this Costco farm.
They cull them all and just start over, takes them 10 weeks to get back up to butcher age.
I have no idea in the 600 sq miles of the county where this farm is, but I know I'm not in the lockdown zone, as if there were a mega farm within 6 miles of me, I'd know it. Sickening though.

Back
Top Bottom