What did you do in the garden today?

Problem is, you keep your birds locked up, in their pen but all it takes is a sparrow that got the stuff from that farm, to fly over, go to grab a nibble on a treat you gave your bird, and that could spread it from what I am hearing.

Thankfully it's not down south too bad yet, if it gets too close to my area, when I handle the chickens, I"ll be wearing a tyvek suit, which I can take off and wash hands real good before I come in and handle the brat. It'd be devastated if something were to happen to him.

Aaron

Problem is, you keep your birds locked up, in their pen but all it takes is a sparrow that got the stuff from that farm, to fly over, go to grab a nibble on a treat you gave your bird, and that could spread it from what I am hearing.

Thankfully it's not down south too bad yet, if it gets too close to my area, when I handle the chickens, I"ll be wearing a tyvek suit, which I can take off and wash hands real good before I come in and handle the brat. It'd be devastated if something were to happen to him.

Aaron
My birds are under cover, no sparrows can get in or poop flying over. My regular 1200sf run only has bird netting as a cover, sparrows could certainly get in there, so they are further locked up under cover. & let me tell you it's a pain! Everything is harder to get to & maintain, they were in 2 coops before, now they share one. Can't wait till it's gone for the season. I did get a call from Dept of Ag saying they culled 155 birds within 10 miles of me - lockdown wasn't mandatory but suggested. So I did. I could let them out if I wanted, but I'd rather peace of mind. For now. :gig

if you DO get your soil testing....make sure you have AT LEAST 2-4 cups of soil from each bed where you want to plant. Label them appropriately so you can tell them apart.
Thanks for that bit of info. I think I'll do it this year. I'd like some more specifics.
Strawberries are fairly hardy, unless it's getting in the mid to low teens I don't think the frost will hurt them very much.
The plants will be fine, but immature fruit or flowers are quite tender. How do I know this? Trust me, I know this.

Aaron
FYI sparrows are called flying rats around here. 😉

Thanks for that bit of info. I think I'll do it this year. I'd like some more specifics.

The plants will be fine, but immature fruit or flowers are quite tender. How do I know this? Trust me, I know this.
I'm sure you & Aaron are right, but I covered them anyway. It only took 2 mins. I'm sure they'd have been ok, but I live at a higher elevation here & sometimes it's MUCH colder than they predict. & I always get more snow than anyone else a mile down the road.

Aaron
You should have seen me trying to explain biosecurity when we (DH & I) had to go into TSC last weekend & what shoes he could & couldn't wear & what ones are now banned from the backyard. :lau I told him to wait till I made him wear the little booties!

Back
Top Bottom