What did you do in the garden today?

Another ca-razy question for yall...
So raised bed...newly planted small plants grown from seed in the house of tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, onion, peppers, kale, spinach and lettuce...
I did harden them off for good week or 2 before planning.
I watered em in good (after fungus gnats hated to over water).
how often do I need to water the raised bed after 70s full sun days?
We are on vacation and it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow...but hasnt since Thursday.
Every day for a week is what I do.. just a light water in morning and in evening then 2nd week I go to a good soaking/watering every other day in mornings..

Mama’s Herbs.. my wife not my mom.. ha.. lol..!!

Attachments

• 4FB7A03C-C876-4F6C-8603-6E26050E96EE.jpeg
    4FB7A03C-C876-4F6C-8603-6E26050E96EE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 763DF5DE-D96A-4113-88FE-DF7275900A5E.jpeg
    763DF5DE-D96A-4113-88FE-DF7275900A5E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
So I started my tomatoes on the date farmers almanac & my farm store recommended. I have about 50 plants under 3 grow lights in 4 trays. Great, right?

Problem is, they are about 6 inches high ABOVE the 4 inch pots. I found 6x6 pots that can be here tomorrow. I’m running out of space! I can’t buy another grow light. Last frost date here is May 7, but I usually don’t plant til the following week to be safe. Do you guys think they will be ok repotted into 6 in deep pots? It’s hard to be upset about tomato growth success but I don’t want to lose them all! Lol

So I started my tomatoes on the date farmers almanac & my farm store recommended. I have about 50 plants under 3 grow lights in 4 trays. Great, right?

Problem is, they are about 6 inches high ABOVE the 4 inch pots. I found 6x6 pots that can be here tomorrow. I’m running out of space! I can’t buy another grow light. Last frost date here is May 7, but I usually don’t plant til the following week to be safe. Do you guys think they will be ok repotted into 6 in deep pots? It’s hard to be upset about tomato growth success but I don’t want to lose them all! Lol
It would do more harm than good at this point to pot up for just a few weeks.. any pictures? Curious if they are stout plants/leggy plants? Strong stems, or spindly stems?.. most importantly what’s the root systems look like.. you want the roots to “match” the tops.. balance.. if you have big tops with no root system you can damage the roots and set them back a bit..

Every day for a week is what I do.. just a light water in morning and in evening then 2nd week I go to a good soaking/watering every other day in mornings..
This is what I do as well. I also water my pots/containers if they are looking droopy, as they get drier quicker than the in ground veggies.

question for you all--mint: in containers or in ground? I don't want it taking over the yard but I have a 7x15 area that I can use for mint, I have 4 different kinds

It would do more harm than good at this point to pot up for just a few weeks.. any pictures? Curious if they are stout plants/leggy plants? Strong stems, or spindly stems?.. most importantly what’s the root systems look like.. you want the roots to “match” the tops.. balance.. if you have big tops with no root system you can damage the roots and set them back a bit..
Here is one of the plants.

1650805246371.jpeg

They were repotted from the seedling tray into these cups and buried to the true leaves. I could also just add more dirt up to the very top of the cup if you think that would be better.

Another ca-razy question for yall...
So raised bed...newly planted small plants grown from seed in the house of tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, onion, peppers, kale, spinach and lettuce...
I did harden them off for good week or 2 before planning.
I watered em in good (after fungus gnats hated to over water).
how often do I need to water the raised bed after 70s full sun days?
We are on vacation and it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow...but hasnt since Thursday.
I usually stick my finger in the soil, or you can use a moisture meter. I’d estimate every two or three days depending on temps and wind. Your soil plays a big part in that so I’d test the moisture to be sure.

This is what I do as well. I also water my pots/containers if they are looking droopy, as they get drier quicker than the in ground veggies.

question for you all--mint: in containers or in ground? I don't want it taking over the yard but I have a 7x15 area that I can use for mint, I have 4 different kinds
It will spread everywhere. If you can keep it potted, I would do that. If the 7x15 area isn’t near any other garden stuff you will be fine for a few years.

I would say ground unless you might need that space for other stuff…you know how that goes lol. I’ve never had mint take over despite the warnings that it does.

Back
Top Bottom