What did you do in the garden today?

I tried feeding it to the chicks but he was just too massive. They were interested but no takers. The koi on the other hand...

Wow! That is a big'un.

Started my worm farms today... two of them in a 5 gallon bucket set up. I dug up about 50-60 worms out of the yard and added them. They all appear to be red wrigglers. I also bit the bullet and ordered a pound off of eBay. Gave a few to the chicks who thoroughly enjoyed them.

Also fertilized the garden with fish fertilizer. It was hot today. About 87 up here at 2100 feet.

Started my worm farms today... two of them in a 5 gallon bucket set up. I dug up about 50-60 worms out of the yard and added them. They all appear to be red wrigglers. I also bit the bullet and ordered a pound off of eBay. Gave a few to the chicks who thoroughly enjoyed them.

Also fertilized the garden with fish fertilizer. It was hot today. About 87 up here at 2100 feet.
I have always wanted to start a worm farm but it gets so hot here in Alabama. I haemve them in the garden during the spring but they go deep when it turns hot. I just can't keep them alive during the summer.

Well I'm all moved (but far from unpacked) to my little homestead. I turned the BO chickens out this morning for their first taste of free ranging, and they followed me back to the house! All that grass, and they're waiting for me to come out! The previous owners left a massive garden that needs major tending, but I've found tomatoes, corn, peppers, and cucumbers. I pulled up a bunch of onions and have them drying a bit. I also found kohlrabi. The melons are sprawled all over too, but they're not ready for picking. Some of the weeds are almost as tall as me. I think I need a torch! I may have to harvest what I can and leave the weeds, but I'd really like to clean it up.

I have always wanted to start a worm farm but it gets so hot here in Alabama. I haemve them in the garden during the spring but they go deep when it turns hot. I just can't keep them alive during the summer.
Can you keep your worm farm in the house? A lot of people keep a little bin under the kitchen sink. It's unobtrusive, does not smell, and the worms quietly munch away on your kitchen waste. Simply toss a handfull of peat moss or some other bedding (even shredded newspaper) on top when you add kitchen waste. I have a bin down in my basement that is a cat litter bucket. Lots of holes in bottom covered with screen, and a wire grate with plastic drip pan under it. They are very well behaved pets.

Well I'm all moved (but far from unpacked) to my little homestead. I turned the BO chickens out this morning for their first taste of free ranging, and they followed me back to the house! All that grass, and they're waiting for me to come out! The previous owners left a massive garden that needs major tending, but I've found tomatoes, corn, peppers, and cucumbers. I pulled up a bunch of onions and have them drying a bit. I also found kohlrabi. The melons are sprawled all over too, but they're not ready for picking. Some of the weeds are almost as tall as me. I think I need a torch! I may have to harvest what I can and leave the weeds, but I'd really like to clean it up.
Congrats for you!!! Send pics when you can. Yep, I'd not bother with the weeds right now. Remember the story of the wheat and the tares??? If you have access to some good mulch material, you could stomp the weeds down in the areas where that would not mess with the veggies, and put down a layer of cardboard and some mulch. that would at least get you a bit of space to work in. Or just let it all go till fall.

Can you keep your worm farm in the house?  A lot of people keep a little bin under the kitchen sink.  It's unobtrusive, does not smell, and the worms quietly munch away on your kitchen waste.  Simply toss a handfull of peat moss or some other bedding (even shredded newspaper) on top when you add kitchen waste.  I have a bin down in my basement that is a cat litter bucket.  Lots of holes in bottom covered with screen, and a wire grate with plastic drip pan under it.  They are very well behaved pets.

Congrats for you!!!  Send pics when you can.  Yep, I'd not bother with the weeds right now.  Remember the story of the wheat and the tares???  If you have access to some good mulch material, you could stomp the weeds down in the areas where that would not mess with the veggies, and put down a layer of cardboard and some mulch.  that would at least get you a bit of space to work in.  Or just let it all go till fall.

I saved all the packing newsprint to cover the garden after frost. I'll add leaves, rabbit manure, etc. too so it can rot over the winter. I can also use many of the broken down cardboard boxes. In the meantime, I'll enjoy what I can with my sights on next year. The plot is probably twice the size I need, so I'll probably let half of "marinate" for the following year. I'm excited though. Lots of planning. The property is very rolling terrain, but the garden is in a flat area, but I get a good cardio workout twice a day hiking back up from closing the chickens up. I put my coop and rabbit hutch next to the garden for convenience. Lol!

If the garden is truly 2 X the space you will need, what about doing an alternate garden/chicken run? Let the chickens work the fallow side, and then switch them to the other side after you harvest. That would be a fantastic set up.

Back
Top Bottom