What did you do in the garden today?

I was hoping someone could help me identify this plant with the berries.
I went to a nursery today and picked up a Tiff Blue Blueberry to go with my other rabbiteyes. And a Lantana and a Sweedish Ivy. They had this plant growing on their fence and when I asked them what it was they told me it was just a weed.
I brought home some new starts off of it, but they suffered from the heat on the way home. I am hoping they will recover.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking politicalcenter. I posted these pics on another site also asking for help to identify this plant. And a guy said it's Ampelopsis arborea - pepervine. I looked up the plant and it is it.
So it's not a good tasting plant for people but wild life love it.

Good luck on your grapes.

I was hoping someone could help me identify this plant with the berries.
I went to a nursery today and picked up a Tiff Blue Blueberry to go with my other rabbiteyes. And a Lantana and a Sweedish Ivy. They had this plant growing on their fence and when I asked them what it was they told me it was just a weed.
I brought home some new starts off of it, but they suffered from the heat on the way home. I am hoping they will recover.

Looks like you have a Peppervine. We have them all over here in Texas. They are very invasive and a pain to get rid of. You can eat them & even make jelly/jam out of the berries. You can also get a chemical burn in your throat if you eat too many. This is due to tiny needles of calcium oxalate which is a defensive measure of the Peppervine. Once you remove the oxalate, it is fine to use for food.

I've never ate any. We've had this growing on our place for years. This is the first year it has produced berries. We've always just pulled it up since it always grows where we want something else to grow. The leaves look similar to poison sumac leaves.

Here is what our's looks like. You can see the various stages of the berries.

I picked some okra today since that is all that is left in my garden except for the green beans. They haven't started producing yet.

I also raked up several loads of pine straw and spread over the chips in my orchard. I have some stubborn bermuda grass that is coming up through the chips.

Everyone harvesting and me just starting my garden. But things just seem to grow better here in the fall. I got my grapes planted and my carrots and green beans are coming up. I also have bush cucumbers coming up. I took my leftover seed and planted some in my goat pasture. It is fenced off and I just scrapped furrows and planted. I also cut up some seed potatoes I bought at Wally World.

Back
Top Bottom