What did you do in the garden today?

I feel like I need to try one of these fancy sandwiches now.
Totally NOT fancy, but still they can be good. Yes, recipes vary, so you may enjoy one combo over another. I’m pretty sure last concession shift I worked a couple months ago, the lead made it with canned chicken (a tall/large can), a box of stuffing and some chicken broth - can’t remember cream of chicken soup though for that place, but she whipped it up pronto bc they were running out before half-time. And I ALWAYS get a buffalo shredded chicken sandwich at my fav stand at our county fair at least 1x during fair week.

what happened, did they stay outside or something or just in the wrong place in the coop?
Im sorry to hear of the losses.

Aaron
Deeply cold with 35-50mph winds for 2.5 days. Heat lamp on in the coop, but winds kind of take any heat away. The coop is elevated, and only has upper ventilation but some of the birds sleep on the floor. There are enough roosts, but these are the ones that haven’t started laying yet, so I guess haven’t pushed their way up onto the roosts. And FWIW, the coop is fully behind the barn and is protected, but these winds were fierce!!

Oh I understand bad winds chilling everything.
Yah I got a few like that too, have not started laying yet,they are overdue TBH, and kind of get bullied. I kind of think part of the pecking order thing is, laying eggs is sort of a rite of passage for them or something :D Either way ive been on several weeks of no eggs now, they need to get their acts together here.

Aaron

So sorry for your loss @Acre4Me. My chickens are doing well. They’ve been spending a lot more time inside the coop. The coldest I saw inside the coop was 18F. My shower curtains are doing a good job of blocking the wind from the chicken run so during the day when the sun is shining it gets much warmer in there. The lowest we’ve had is 6F. (Without the wind chill). Yesterday the high was only 15F. One of my hens that was still laying in November laid an egg yesterday. Of course it was cracked from freezing. I didn’t expect anything today, but there was another egg waiting for me in one of the nest boxes. That one is now in the refrigerator. So unexpected. Good news there’s a warming trend working it’s way here. Next week will be much warmer so a good time to clean up the boat load of twigs and branches leftover from that 2 day storm. And of course take down the holiday stuff. Sliced tomato sandwiches are really good. All we used when I was a child was white sliced store bought bread, mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Super yummy with home grown tomatoes. 🍅

I looked my chickens over, and I don't see any signs of frostbite, yay! My former roo got it twice, and lot tips off his comb, and a bottom strip off his wattles.

I had the people door open today, and everyone was out at one time or another.

The worst of the cold has passed. We're going to get warm, into the upper 40s, and get rain. The dirt roads are going to be a mucky mess.

Y’all have me drooling over tomato sandwiches!

& thanks for all the love, I am feeling better today.

I cant get outside to check on the birds, my old red gal may have some frostbite but she laid an egg today so she can’t be too bad! I think I might be able to take a walk out there tomorrow, I hate to not check on them. DH is doing well taking care of them, (and me for that matter) but he doesn’t really know them & wouldn’t spot someone not feeling well.

I looked my chickens over, and I don't see any signs of frostbite, yay! My former roo got it twice, and lot tips off his comb, and a bottom strip off his wattles.

I had the people door open today, and everyone was out at one time or another.

The worst of the cold has passed. We're going to get warm, into the upper 40s, and get rain. The dirt roads are going to be a mucky mess.
I saw one roo who had some tips with frostbite. One hen looked suspiciously gray but I couldn't tell for sure. Overall I think we got really lucky....

Back
Top Bottom