What did you do in the garden today?

I just saw this and it got me thinking and wondering!
26CE2A1E-0132-44F2-B9C4-B2956A706414.jpeg

What do you mean by that?

Hilarious!
I like to start fermenting different spring plant to make either a topping for salads and the like or just use up some of the produces which I had stored to much for the winter into usable items for summer like cabbage to kraut, broccoli and cauliflower with ramp and spring onions, adding a jar of fermented dill pickles and other ingredients, that I try like pickling winter squashes, an apple or two, even a crunchy potato for a variety, gives me a nice lunch time flavor addition with my HM soup and sandwich or just having a pint handy for a fun salty pick me while taking a break in the spring garden activities, replacing the door on the pig pen, rebuilding my 40 year old rabbit cages, designing a new nesting box design so the hens won’t eat the eggs. At my age things go a little (lot) slower so a pick me up is appreciated, and yes usually they don’t make it through till summer let alone fall (and sometimes only a matter of weeks). And, they don’t seem to add to the midline. Without electricity and running water fermenting helps use up items that a pressure cooker on the wood-stove, on a warm spring day just makes the house unbearable.

Beautiful rise on that sourdough!

Anyone motivated to try their hand at sourdough, go to the baking thread (Any Home Bakers Here?) and let it be known you are interested. Our resident sourdough expert, @ronott1, will gladly send you a dried starter with instructions. Most of us over there are baking with his starter and loving it. He will also send you the history of his starter.
Can you share that link?

The cayenne pepper seeds I got from the seed library didn’t sprout after two weeks, at a guess they were just too old. I got a new(er) packet and plan to plant them this weekend. If those don’t sprout either I may have to (gasp, shock, horror) actually buy some. 😱

Collected a little mess of strawberries

Nice! The wild ones around me are just in bloom now, and the domestic ones I planted aren’t even doing that yet.

About nemotodes...at my old home I bought some beneficial nematodes & applied to the back section of my yard, where I grew vegetables. Along with the combination of some rich soil (got 3 pickup truck loads from Kennett Square mushroom houses & tilled it in, also building up an area that usually became a huge rain puddle). Along with pigeon manure, I had some amazing soil! Everything grew green & lush, even the nearby grass grew a deep green & twice as fast as the front yard. I'm ordering some beneficial nemotodes.

https://www.naturesgoodguys.com/collections/beneficial-nematodes

Good nemotodes & bad nemotodes

Back
Top Bottom