What did you do in the garden today?

Yes, NEChickenNoob, just didn't know how to address you, and now my keyboard wants to embellish your name with extra letters. Huh, got a mind of its own. Anyway, do you start in a greenhouse?
No, I start under grow lights. I only start certain plants, some need the help, some don't. Some are much better direct sown as they do not like the transplant process. I can give you my list of what to start indoors and what to start by direct sow if you're interested. It's fairly simple to start your plants indoors and build your own grow light stand.

Today I weeded strawberries, onions, cukes, beans, and squash/watermelon/pumpkins. Next year I really need to keep track of not just what I planted, but WHERE it was planted. I can't tell the zukes/winter squash/summer squash/melons apart (at least not yet). The chickens also scratched up some zucchini (???) so I will need to replant later.

. . . and I found two ripe strawberries the birds overlooked. We split them to share with all six of us, and they were delicious! So I'm motivated to get a new strawberry bed with a hoop over it for next Spring. Will strawberries produce their first year? I need to research a little on the best growing method, etc. I really wanted to make strawberry jam this year. Live and learn.
If you start from seed, they generally don't produce the first year. I have found the best way is to plant them in a pyramid or in a long row box. Plant in spring, winter over with heavy mulching (straw and such dry fodder, this is really important in cold areas) and next year give them a healthy dose of manure. Add phosphate after first blooms appear to promote extra fruiting. They generally produce well for 3 to 5 seasons of harvest.

Quote: Sure wished the rains could have been a little spread out. One extreme to another is not h elpful in the short run. Hopefully it will figure out that once a week is a good rate!! lol

OMG I have seen more little toads this year than ever. Very happy to see them. We used to have a big toad that sat under the porch light at night. He had a feast as the attracted bug fell down to the ground at his feet at some point I guess. We could count on seeing him every night all summer long. Sorely missed when " Big TOad" didnt show up any more. Hoping these littles will survive the chickens and the turkeys AND the garter snakes, the latter sure like toads.

Quote:
Yup, God provided them with a job too. I done kill a nest unless they are in the wrong place for oru safety, especially my kids. We enjoyed watching one nest for a summer and then well into winter the kids asked to get it down. THeycarefully opened it and got see how well a bug can engineer a home. Never met a truly stupid creature. Well, maybe slugs. ... lol

No, I start under grow lights.  I only start certain plants, some need the help, some don't.  Some are much better direct sown as they do not like the transplant process.  I can give you my list of what to start indoors and what to start by direct sow if you're interested.  It's fairly simple to start your plants indoors and build your own grow light stand. 

I start indoors as well....simple cheap fluorescent shop lights...@ $10 supported by chains....on top of the freezer in the kitchen.....one thing new this year.....I bought a heat mat....WOW......I mean....just WOW!!!!! Get one.....really!!!! I use the 'Jiffy ' 72 cell mini greenhouses....(I get them from Wal-Mart)....but before I fill them...I take scissors and cut them into 6 packs....that way...when one 6 pack is pretty much sprouted....I can take it out of the flat on the heat mat.....

I start almost everything except beans,squash,pumpkins,melons, okra, and root crops in 6 packs....(I don't grow corn....don't like the taste of earworms....which is about all my corn plants produce....

I especially like starting lettuce....it's so much easier to deal with those little seeds.....and thinning...sitting at a kitchen table at 72° than on your knees in 28° weather....and they transplant well....and it makes spacing a snap!

If you start from seed, they generally don't produce the first year.  I have found the best way is to plant them in a pyramid or in a long row box.  Plant in spring, winter over with heavy mulching (straw and such dry fodder, this is really important in cold areas) and next year give them a healthy dose of manure.  Add phosphate after first blooms appear to promote extra fruiting.  They generally produce well for 3 to 5 seasons of harvest.

Very helpful, TY! We just moved here last Fall so I have no idea how long they have been here, but I am going to guess they are nearing the end. The berries they are producing are pretty small!

Bwa ha ha ha!!
Yeah, we've done the flame thrower too... Just didn't mention it, thought it was a bit "do not try this at home"
gig.gif

I have to admit I love our flame thrower - we have a big space out back with weeds coming up through gravel and torching them is quite fun.....

Today after being gone for 2 weeks on vacation I weeded...and weeded...and weeded...it rained a lot here in Oldham county KY and now I've got mutant weeds. When I pull them up I'm also getting some of my green bean plants. I planted back in the soil will they survive? Is there something I can do so they don't die?

..(I don't grow corn....don't like the taste of earworms....which is about all my corn plants produce....
All you need to do to keep the ear worms out is put a drop or two of vegetable oil on the silks where they join the husk. Any larvae inside will be smothered, and any future larvae won't go in. Corn can be grown at 1' spacing in the row, with 2 rows 1' apart, followed by a 2' spacing, then 2 more rows. It's a super easy way to pack a lot of corn in a small space. I don't hill corn, merely give it a nice deep mulch. You could also start the seed in a trench, level out the trench when it's tall enough, and then do the deep mulch. Also, corn and potatoes are good growing buddies, so I often plant 2 rows of corn, a row of potatoes (be sure to leave room to get at the potatoes for mulching and bug control) and 2 more rows of corn.
Very helpful, TY! We just moved here last Fall so I have no idea how long they have been here, but I am going to guess they are nearing the end. The berries they are producing are pretty small!
You could probably renew your patch, as long as the plants aren't diseased. transplant some of the best plants to a new spot that has been amended and heavily fertilized. They'll take off and grow like crazy, you should be back in business with a good strong bed in 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom