What did you do in the garden today?

Hmmm, so I'm not the only one who is learning as she goes. The corn is not coming up, but the tomatoes are doing fine, The pole beans have some sort of leaf affliction, and the slugs just don't want to give up. I'm glad I'm not alone. Yes, it'll soon be time to do the starts for the fall garden.

OK....I've had a big problem with a "leaf affliction " on my beans this year as well....which is usually on my tomatoes....

I'm pretty sure I know what it is too.....spider mites...check the underside of the leaves very carefully for dark spots and webs....

Quote: THank you, will definitely give that a try as I often us OO for the skin; pnly CO and OO on the face or else I feel the heat of a reaction in a matter of minutes.

Glad you had an AWESOME time!

Quote: Yup, experiencing what works and what doesnt is about the best teacher.

Now see I've got butternut squash running out of my ears...next year I'm hopein for a greenhouse...the DH has been on the look out for a good deal;)
We contructed a small one about 8 x 6 using leftover materials. THen we covered it with plywood and it is now a coop. THe nice thing is it can be covered in plastic again and converted back to a green house. Not fancy, not pretty, but that is ok by us. THere some very pretty ones commerically available that I drool over. . . .Maybe the end of summer has sales . . .

Hmmm, so I'm not the only one who is learning as she goes. The corn is not coming up, but the tomatoes are doing fine, The pole beans have some sort of leaf affliction, and the slugs just don't want to give up. I'm glad I'm not alone. Yes, it'll soon be time to do the starts for the fall garden.
Yup learn as I go. What works in one area, may not work in another.

Hi everyone, not sure who posted this tip, or if it was even on this thread, but THANK YOU for the squash bug tip! I watered the bases and under the leaves this evening, then walked around for a while and when I came back a lot of the bugs were on the top leaves drying out.

Hit them with a mix of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and water mixed in an old windex bottle and didn't have to dig down in the leaves to find them!

Will do it again every couple of days. Works great!!
WOW !

It's extremely hot here in the UK so most of what I did was water my newly transplanted seeds. I potted up a few canna lillies I've grown from seed and help my partner move the mini-greenhouse; he grows carnivorous plants.

I moved to a new garden this year and it's FAR bigger than my tiny previous one. The house is a complete mess - loads of DIY to do. Of course, the garden has had a TONNE of work done on it already. Yep, I know where my priorities lay ;)
Nice that you have a bigger garden to suit your needs. I like your priorities!!
big_smile.png

THe winter squash is UP!! Figured everyone here would understand how thrilling it is to see the seeds germinate.

Interesting to walk past each of the varieties and see a difference in the leaf size. Function of seed size??

THe winter squash is UP!! Figured everyone here would understand how thrilling it is to see the seeds germinate.

Interesting to walk past each of the varieties and see a difference in the leaf size. Function of seed size??

Well....ummmm....big plants have big leaves!!!!! Leaves feed the plant....the bigger.....and faster growing....the plant....generally....the bigger the leaves the seedling is going to have....again....(generally) ....bush squash plants...are going to start out smaller than vining types....and....(again generally) ...the larger the harvested squash....the larger the plant.....from cradle to grave......

EDIT:....OH...WAIT!!!!! Are you talking about the same variety?????

Yeah.....ummmmn....no.....seed size actually doesn't determine sprout size as much as you would think.....it's more a combination of quality of nutrients and tilth in the site it's planted in.....available water throughout the germination process....and how well the seed was stored....(as well as how it was handled and when it was.....picked.....)

But again, generally speaking, larger seeds will produce larger sprouts, but it's certainly not a given....and IMHO not even consistent enough to call an anticipated result.....

Pulled first 4 Zucchinis out today. Thinking Friday I will be pulling a batch of Zuchs and Yellow Squash. I way over planted this year. Plan is to donate to the local food bank all excess, plus a little here and there for friends. Pulling another bag or two of lettuce tomorrow or Friday as well. Probably pulling first cabbage this week too.

Back
Top Bottom