What did you do in the garden today?

IMG_9309.JPG IMG_9306.JPG IMG_9287.JPG IMG_9329.JPG IMG_9324.JPG IMG_9327.JPG IMG_9331.JPG
IMG_9325.JPG
I've had large potted plants stolen right off the front porch. Saddens me.

Had to post pics of what I am calling my Mutant Mortgagelifter tomato. Picked my first okra of the season, more tomatoes, green beans and cukes.

Almost got carried off by the mosquitoes. It's so hot and humid!

Spent most of my time watching my new chicks. Hard to resist, even though that room is 85-90 degrees without the heat mat already.

Early to bed tonight for this chick.

I put a plethora of landscape plants into the ground today (4 varieties of hosta, heuchera, hydrangea, azalea, foam flower, speedwell, lamb's ear, coneflower, shasta daisies, ferns, bleeding hearts, etc.). Most were planted under the pine trees in front of our house, near the road, about 40-50' from our front door. After everything was in, my husband mentioned to me that he thinks I just wasted all my time and money because he thinks people are going to steal them. His parents, who live 1.5 miles from us, always lose anything they plant down by their drive. Apparently, people just drive up during the night, on a couple different occasions, and have dug up their freshly planted hostas and daylilies. (Their house is set far back from the road and they can not see the end of their drive from their house.) But, now I'm totally paranoid that someone is going to steal several hundred dollars worth of plants that I just spent all day putting in. Have any of you ever had a problem with people stealing any plants that were near the road?

Unbelievable that folks could be so brazen.

I've been carting wood chips into the garden, had to put up an extension for my sugar snaps. used 8' strapping, and jute to make a net to cover the space between the top of CP fence and the horizontal bar of the extension. The peas are blooming like crazy. They like the rain and cool weather.

Chickens trashed my hay bale garden, so i put deer netting around it before going to work this morning. So far, no more hay bale attacks. I will need to re-plant some flowers and herbs, and hope that the sweet potato vines recover.

IMG_3616.JPG IMG_3617.JPG IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3622.JPG
Wet wet wet. Y'all can see why I'm doing a French drain under my pavers as I extend the patio. So today I harvested and took pics.

I'm also working on a dry creek bed from the pond down to the drain we already have past the mini teepee. The red tub is turned upside down over it in the second pic. That is one edge of the property close to the house. The pond is further back and at a higher elevation. Overflow currently gets channeled mostly behind the teepee bed, but obviously some is still draining down the frontside. The new drain will fix that, and the dry creek bed will keep most runoff/overflow contained.

Dang that's a lot more digging left to go! I have to look at it one little bit at a time to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

View attachment 1061588 View attachment 1061589 View attachment 1061590 View attachment 1061591
Wet wet wet. Y'all can see why I'm doing a French drain under my pavers as I extend the patio. So today I harvested and took pics.

I'm also working on a dry creek bed from the pond down to the drain we already have past the mini teepee. The red tub is turned upside down over it in the second pic. That is one edge of the property close to the house. The pond is further back and at a higher elevation. Overflow currently gets channeled mostly behind the teepee bed, but obviously some is still draining down the frontside. The new drain will fix that, and the dry creek bed will keep most runoff/overflow contained.

Dang that's a lot more digging left to go! I have to look at it one little bit at a time to avoid feeling overwhelmed.
I feel your pain, added 40' of french this year to go from half the chicken run then behind the shed and out under and past the meat bird run. #rockyclaysoilsux

But it's totally worth it, we've been deluged since then, we got 8.5 in April 6 in may and almost 6 in june. Working on an ark for my tomatoes next.

Back
Top Bottom