What did you do in the garden today?

Does anyone start their nasturtiums or yarrow indoors? I always direct sowed mine. Last year I didn't get any to grow. First year I've had that problem. I am toying with starting them in a flat this year instead of direct sowing.
I started nasturtiums last year, but meh, the direct seeded ones did great. As in…wasn’t worth the effort or space to start ahead.

The Almanac is predicting this summer to be on par or hotter than last summer. Last year was BRUTAL for me when it came to watering the garden. I *really* don't want to go through that again. So I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the $4k to put in a water line & irrigation system. :hmm That's a big investment, but I look at it as bringing the ability for a better harvest and (more importantly) saves my sanity. The only thing I DON'T like is that it isn't a well. It's tying into my city water line. I really wanted a well but it's simply too expensive to put one in. So I gotta compromise and this is it.

The Almanac is predicting this summer to be on par or hotter than last summer. Last year was BRUTAL for me when it came to watering the garden. I *really* don't want to go through that again. So I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the $4k to put in a water line & irrigation system. :hmm That's a big investment, but I look at it as bringing the ability for a better harvest and (more importantly) saves my sanity. The only thing I DON'T like is that it isn't a well. It's tying into my city water line. I really wanted a well but it's simply too expensive to put one in. So I gotta compromise and this is it.
Ask the city if you can have a separate meter put on the landscaping line. That way you aren't paying sewer on garden water which costs 2x as much as the water itself.

Ask the city if you can have a separate meter put on the landscaping line. That way you aren't paying sewer on garden water which costs 2x as much as the water itself.
We are on our own septic so I don't think that applies but I will check to be sure that it isn't padded in there as some kind of hidden cost. As far as I know, sewer isn't even a line item on our bill.

View attachment 3432081

We just got this issue in the mail. The main article is on “dry farming”. Interestingly, melons are actually from arid regions! Anyway, good article. Maybe at your library, or online.
Thanks! I've got 10-14 inches of rain per year to work with, so things like swales and ditches and super heavy mulching are top of the list. I was surprised to see melon varieties that are drought resistant, I always thought of them as being water heavy.

:idunno I watched a YouTube video today on why seed starts get leggy. Of course, the #1 reason was not enough light. I knew that. But one of the other reasons he discussed was using compost as the seed starting medium. According to him, the phosphorus level of compost - especially manure-based composts - was too high in phosphorus and that would cause the plants to grow too fast and become leggy.

So, I am wondering if my chicken run compost would not be the right medium for seed starting because chicken compost is higher in phosphorus than cow manure, for example? Having said that, most of my chicken run compost is actually composted leaves and grass clippings, with a scattering of chicken poo in the mix. I know it sure works good in my raised garden beds, but is it too strong for potting up seeds in the house for transplanting later?

At any rate, my chicken run is still covered in two feet of snow, so I will not be sifting any compost for many weeks. I purchased a 2 cubic foot bag of Miracle-Gro Potting Mix today at the Fleet store on sale for $12.99. That was the best price in town.

75652300.jpg

I plan on using the Miracle-Gro potting mix in 3-inch net pots to start my tomatoes and peppers in a few weeks. But I am wondering if I can mix peat moss and my chicken run compost later in the spring to make potting soil. It sure would be less expensive. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom