What did you do in the garden today?

Johnnys Seeds: new to me, first year I’ve ordered from them. Their packaging is pretty basic, but here are some seeds I ordered that are more interesting:

CUCUMBERS, my nemesis. These are quite pricey seeds, but have lots of disease resistance and look like good candidates to produce tasty cukes. <crossing fingers>
IMG_3757.jpeg

Carrots:
IMG_3758.jpeg

We enjoy carrots, and always grow a variety. Trying some new red and yellow types, along with a white variety. Over the years, we’ve tried red, yellow, purple in addition to a variety of orange types. But, many colored ones (R Y P) leave us a bit unsatisfied, either with flavor, or germination, or growth. So, these looked like possible good options.

Now I’ve shared my new seed orders, some with known to me varieties, many new. Sharing to let others know what I’m trying, and for encouragement to all of the gardeners out there.

One thing I’ve learned about gardening is that every year bring one challenge or another. But, hopefully, I’ll have success with this or that. My beans are nearly always successful, so I grow them. In addition, beans for drying are even less stress, and fun to shell when dried. So they get a spot every year.

The marigolds and Nastursiums are typically successful- especially marigolds. The marigolds are pretty, treats for the chickens, and can be pest deterrents, so they get a spot too.

Cucumbers are my challenge, so I keep trying!! But, seriously, they are my nemesis and I would be hard pressed to get enough to pickle even a single jar worth on any given day.

Yes. Yes, I do have way more seeds than I need. But, I also have 2000 sq ft of cultivated ground and raised beds, not to mention other places I can plant the flowers beyond the 2000 sqft.

Hopefully others are getting their seeds selected and ordered and ready for planting time!!

Johnnys Seeds: new to me, first year I’ve ordered from them. Their packaging is pretty basic, but here are some seeds I ordered that are more interesting:

CUCUMBERS, my nemesis. These are quite pricey seeds, but have lots of disease resistance and look like good candidates to produce tasty cukes. <crossing fingers>
View attachment 3735095

Carrots:
View attachment 3735098

We enjoy carrots, and always grow a variety. Trying some new red and yellow types, along with a white variety. Over the years, we’ve tried red, yellow, purple in addition to a variety of orange types. But, many colored ones (R Y P) leave us a bit unsatisfied, either with flavor, or germination, or growth. So, these looked like possible good options.
Nice. I always get their catalog but have never ordered from them.

Hopefully others are getting their seeds selected and ordered and ready for planting time!!
I'm trying onions from seed for the first time. I usually buy 300 or so plants from Dixondale, but they are getting expensive. Last year they didn't do well but could have been the weather.
I found Patterson seeds from seeds and such . I'll see if I can grow those. I will have time to order plants if these don't germinate well.

I'm trying onions from seed for the first time. I usually buy 300 or so plants from Dixondale, but they are getting expensive. Last year they didn't do well but could have been the weather.
I found Patterson seeds from seeds and such . I'll see if I can grow those. I will have time to order plants if these don't germinate well.
I’ve had great luck with starting Patterson from seed. You can give them a “haircut” if they get too unruly before you plant them.

Finding alternatives also gives me something to think about - better than the state of the world these days.
I need this kind of thing too. Watching the news makes me angry. And I can't go take it out on the weeds this time of year.
I watched a program where they said it costs a company more money to recycle and reuse plastics then using new plastic material. If we cannot change that situation, there is little to no economic benefit for a company to reuse plastics in their products. I hope that changes. If used plastic had more value than new plastic, then I think we could start to reduce plastic waste in our environment.
Yes, the numbers don't lie about this kind of thing (if reported honestly!). What we MUST do (IMO) is find better ways to recycle. Or build batteries for electric cars. Or whatever we can do to keep from killing the planet and ourselves. I don't know if we'll learn fast enough. Rant over.
Borage: bee magnet!!!! So, this will be a permanent plant in/around the garden.
Plant borage once, and you should have it forever! It readily reseeds itself, and you can save the seeds if you want to plant it in other places. I bought borage seed once, about 5 years ago.

Yes it's easy to get sucked in, sometimes it's not even the same company.
It was so powerful with the cure high blood pressure claim and Shark tank fake employee testimony...
My Bitdefender anti-virus just blocked its email address saying I had something in my cart, and my Bank just sent me a suspicious activity report and listed that site as declined.

Last edited:
here's one for you....
You cannot, by law, but X, Y, or Z in the trash here. It must be sent to the recycle center.
The countryside in this county has no recycle center. The city where this law originated started with 25 recycle centers when the law went into effect. But then it got to costly to keep emptying them and they would fill up quickly. If you lived out of town, you had to collect it all at home, load it in the car and haul it to the city.
THEN since town thought it was too expensive to keep the public sites open and emptied, they closed all but 3, which are constantly full to overflowing. Every time I went to town to drop mine off, it was full, making me store it in the truck and try again the next week.
That got old really quickly.
NOW people to avoid the full sites, PAY $40 a month to have it collected at the curb, in a special roller bin, by the same company as the trash company. So not only are we paying for pick up, there are extra trucks on the road burning diesel fuel to pick it up, and want to guess where it ends up since it is too expensive to recycle??
So basically, I'm spending $40 more a month thatnI was when I was just paying for trash pickup, using extra time and water (it all has to be clean before going in the bin), and more energy is being used to haul it around. Brilliant.
All for their feel good movement.

Back
Top Bottom