What did you do in the garden today?

I will have to get a pair of those cutters! - thank you for sharing those. I don't make a habit of burning it. I had a run of buying online and ended up with several boxes. One was large enough to house my chicks for a few days. Some went in the base of hugelkultur beds, most were put in the recycle bin once they were wet from rain and could easily be torn. The quality of cardboard has certainly gone up a few notches recently.

Those type of power cutters are sold by many brands. I would suggest looking for the best price on whatever one you buy because I think most of them are made in the same factory in China. They have interchangeable blades, so they seem to be standardized.

I bought my power cutters from Harbor Freight, on sale, on a weekend where I got extra free tools/supplies for making a purchase. Plus, I had Harbor Freight Rewards money to use up. I got a really good deal after all those discounts. I use my power cutters much more than I expected. I have not sent a heavy cardboard packing box to the recycle center since I got my power cutters. All my cardboard is recycled at home as deep bedding shreds in the chicken coop, then tossed into the chicken run, then the finished compost goes into my raised beds and grows food for the family.

:old My hands are getting old and I cannot use my big manual scissors to cut up heavy cardboard without cramping them up. Another option is to use a utility razor knife, but those are not nearly as safe as the power cutters. But if you don't have the money for a power cutter, then there are other ways to process heavy cardboard at home. I just find the power cutters, for me, was worth the purchase.

Just a small sample of other brands of power cutters...

1706415996962.png
1706416018930.png
1706416039790.png
1706416071815.png

@Smokerbill : you don't even have to clean up the seeds from marigolds. They will take off pretty much regardless of conditions. They are my go to flower just because of that reason. As for saving jars and bowls I save the glass jars but the bowls go out. I have a bunch of yogurt cups for planting seeds and possibly making some crafts out of them.

Now I’ve shared my new seed orders, some with known to me varieties, many new. Sharing to let others know what I’m trying, and for encouragement to all of the gardeners out there.

One thing I’ve learned about gardening is that every year bring one challenge or another. But, hopefully, I’ll have success with this or that. My beans are nearly always successful, so I grow them. In addition, beans for drying are even less stress, and fun to shell when dried. So they get a spot every year.

The marigolds and Nastursiums are typically successful- especially marigolds. The marigolds are pretty, treats for the chickens, and can be pest deterrents, so they get a spot too.

Cucumbers are my challenge, so I keep trying!! But, seriously, they are my nemesis and I would be hard pressed to get enough to pickle even a single jar worth on any given day.

Yes. Yes, I do have way more seeds than I need. But, I also have 2000 sq ft of cultivated ground and raised beds, not to mention other places I can plant the flowers beyond the 2000 sqft.

Hopefully others are getting their seeds selected and ordered and ready for planting time!!

why do you have trouble growing cucumbers? I dig a hole just to put a handful or two aged manure and put a seed in. the only other thing it needs is water and sun. some dried grass around the stalk to keep snails and slugs away. I water it on the ground and early in the morning when it is cool. do you do any different?

Thanks for that info, @gtaus, I would have expected those to run considerably higher. We burn our cardboard around here, but with a set of cutters like those, composting becomes a viable option.

To be clear, I use my power cutters to cut the heavy cardboard into strips 2-3 inches wide and then shred the cardboard strips in my paper shredder down the middle slot designated for credit cards. That way I don't bog down and break my home paper shredder.

For me, heavy cardboard is now a great resource to be used as shreds fist in my chicken coop as deep bedding, then tossed into the chicken run as outside litter to decompose in place, then the finished compost is used to feed my raised bed gardens.

There are other ways to use cardboard, of course, but shredding it for the chickens and composting it later is the best use for my needs.

My shipment from Baker Creek arrived today. In addition to my squash seeds I got a free packet of Merlot red leaf lettuce. I'm out of lettuce seeds and wasn't planning to plant any, but I guess I will now. LOL
I started eating my free Merlot red leaf lettuce I got from Bakers Creek. They pull on the romaine leaf side. They were easier to grow than the butter crunch type. It's a keeper.

I found one! :)

View attachment 3735407us
89$ in australia

Not sure about the exchange rate, but here is that item in the USA...

1706432529889.png

You can buy that Ryobi power cutter in kits with additional batteries as well, for extra money of course.

FWIW, I only have the one battery in my Harbor Freight power cutter, but I only have to recharge it once every 2 months for as much as I use it. I use the tool a lot, but not everyday, and when I do use it, it's only for a few minutes at a time cutting up a box or two.

... don't blame California one bit for doing anything, and everything, they can do to clean up their air.
I do when it results in higher pollution globally. Shifting the pollution to other parts of world isn't really cleaning up.

I noticed that cobalt minimg in the MN Boundary Waters area is a lot more problematic to many Americans than cobalt mining in Africa where about 70% is currently done.

Back
Top Bottom