What did you do in the garden today?

We're expecting an atmospheric river to move in. The rain fall will probably put me in panic mode. I don't like driving in the rain especially when it's windy and flooding is going to be a definite. I just hope my house stays together and it doesn't get inside
Prayers it's all ok

I have not grown out older onion seed but have grown carrot seed that was 12 years old. They were stored in the refrigerator so not exposed to big temperature swings. Most of it germinated and grew just fine.

I would definitely plant them. Nothing to loose. If they sprout with bare spots, add a few more seed.
Sadly these were stored in a storage shed that was not temperature controlled... It is highly unlikely that they will sprout but maybe I'll get lucky. I'm not losing anything to try...

I sowed them tonight in a little 6-pack container and I've got them under lights. 🤞

I've been saying this the last few years too. I was growing for a family of 4 and now it's only 2 of us so I don't need as much.

Something about sowing seed in spring. It makes me happy so each year when I start planting I say just a couple more till I really have too many again. Those seeds make me loose self control. 😂
I feel that way too until early June when the heat hits and I think "why did I plant so much?!?!" By July I'm about ready to just let the bugs have everything... 😂

Went ahead and pruned my peaches and plum trees. Sprayed all the trees and fruit with All Seasons Horticultural oil. Ran out of daylight so I'll have to finish up tomorrow. I still need to tie up the grapes that went CRAZY last season. They completely overtook the beds (raspberries, onions, roses, asparagus) along the fence line where they are growing. I couldn't even walk through the 2 ft pathway behind the fence at all.... I'm going to have to figure out how to create a trellis or something that they can grow over instead of the chaos that happened last year.

I started looking at cherry trees on Stark Brothers and then stopped myself... No, no, no.... I don't NEED them and I really have no room. The only fruit tree I'm allowed to buy this year is a Granny Smith to replace the one that died in 2022. I wanted to replace it last year but no one was carrying them locally. If I can't find one this spring, I'll order it... My Pink Lady apple tree is already 3+ years old now and close to 8-9 ft tall. I have nothing to cross pollinate it with since my Granny Smith died.

I really want a Pomegranate too... I grew several from seeds really easily. However they haven't grown well year over year. It's like the growth dies over the winter so the root ball sends up new shoots each spring. Nothing ever seems to get over 18" in height. I dunno... Maybe I ought to just grow it indoors for a few years so I can baby it to a point where it can survive better over the winter outdoors?

I've also been eyeballing this red pineapple.... I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. I currently have 5 or 6 regular pineapple plants growing. I moved them into 5 gallon buckets last fall and that seems to have made a difference. They have spread out a lot over the winter. Once they go back outdoors this spring, I feel confident that they might fruit this year.

https://wellspringgardens.com/products/florida-special-pineapple-ananas-comosus

61fd8c9f-8183-5930-a2d8-d43a8f46f4e5.jpg

Does anyone know how to start a pineapple tree from a pineapple? I have the pineapple just no clue as to how to start it.
Yes, cut the top off. Peel away leaves at the bottom to reveal the stem. Put it in water and it will root. That's how I started mine from 2 different tops. After they started growing, they began putting off suckers or pups. I simply pulled off the sucker/pup and put it in its own pot. I ended up with a total of 8 pineapple plants from 2 tops.

Back
Top Bottom