What did you do in the garden today?

Planted cucumber, purple hull cow pea, and eggplant seeds yesterday since we are getting some good rain today.

I always mingle lots of Marigolds with everything, like they are my living mulch. I get some pests but nearly as much as I used to. I try to stay organic here. I seem to get those darn vine bugs that attack cucumbers or bugs going for my squash. Gardening is different just 100 miles south of where I grew up, weather patterns are different, too. I've got mint plants growing around the chicken coops. I hadn't thought to try some in the garden areas. I have a lovely Lavender & it has done well here, so I will definitely plant more. Any plants that help repel the gluttonous insects or rodents going for veggies are welcome here! Anyone having success with this method, please feel free to share what works for you. I love Any ideas of plants cooperating, benefitting eacother, providing synergy or repelling nasties in a healthy manner.
Marigolds are definitely a favorite of mine too. I also am lucky enough to have Nasturtium grow like a weed here and has been amazing at keeping hornworms away from my tomato plants. They either hate the smell, or it masks the smell of the tomato and they can't find it. Either way, nasturtium will always be in my garden for now on.

With the mint, just a precaution that it can take over everything if you aren't careful, at least here in Southern California. I plant it in a pot, then plant the whole pot in the areas I want it. Works great! Except the GreenStalks of course, they each get their own pocket in the GreenStalk.

I will be taking the hanging strawberry bags down before it gets too dark. I can set them on the picnic table then cover with a sheet. I’m hoping this is the last really cold blast we get this season. Your hubs sounds like a great guy @Sueby. Coming up with ways for you to continue doing what you love to do. I mixed the potting mix for the strawberry grow bags on my picnic table. Too much bending over is not fun. I was trying to keep the bags light so I mixed bagged garden soil, coir and perlite to help retain some water. I guess it really needs to warm up so the plants can start growing to see how the soil mix is working.

That's a great idea! My issues is chipmunks & squirrels. I was going to try insect netting to start & see how that works.

ETA: I usually use the plastic deer netting over the berries in the raised beds for the birds, will probably continue with that when they flower so the bees can get to them.
I had issues with the squirrels as well, then I got a Mini Schnauzer. lol They hate him, but I love him even more now that he chases them out of the yard all day. I am hoping this is the first year I get one of my nectarines instead of growing them for all the local critters. Netting hasn't really helped me so far and neither has individually wrapping each fruit, which let me tell you sounds as ridiculous as it felt doing it. I was so proud of myself for a week or two, then after one windy day....nothing but pits all around the tree and no more fruit to spare. Grrrrrr.

With the mint, just a precaution that it can take over everything if you aren't careful, at least here in Southern California.

Oregano is the same way. I pruned my pot of it last year and dumped the trimmings into a garden box to decay…and a couple pieces were green enough to propagate. By the end of the summer it had taken over half the box in question.

I had issues with the squirrels as well, then I got a Mini Schnauzer. lol They hate him, but I love him even more now that he chases them out of the yard all day. I am hoping this is the first year I get one of my nectarines instead of growing them for all the local critters. Netting hasn't really helped me so far and neither has individually wrapping each fruit, which let me tell you sounds as ridiculous as it felt doing it. I was so proud of myself for a week or two, then after one windy day....nothing but pits all around the tree and no more fruit to spare. Grrrrrr.

I had similar issues with…something…on my roof. It didn’t hit my garden but it made a lot of noise at night. Then I got a cat and let him have some (supervised) exploration time outside on a regular basis, and stuffed some clumps of his shed fur in out of the way places. Much less noise now!

Something to keep in mind. Raw vegetables are generally more nutrient dense and higher in fiber and therefore require a little more work by your digestive system than cooked foods. If the vegetables are making you gassy, then they are likely doing good things for your body. If certain foods are giving you serious indigestion you should speak to your primary care provider.
No gas
Haven't been impressed with the Dr in years.
They just throw Rx muscle relaxers and pain killers and never looked at my back. Chiropractor said sacrum was out and adjusted, pain was gone.
Went for long covid fatigue and smell...they didn't have any ideas

None of you folks add location your profile.
Washington state here I have herbs that you speak of 10 years or more.
I've had the same mint, sage & thyme growing since I moved here! For some reason I can't get lavender to survive, though I know some do around here. I try every year, lol. Starting from seed this go round, not that it will help. 🤣

My oregano is overwhelmingly prolific. I planted plants from the herb garden on the slope where the grapevines are planted. I also planted mustard and lavender with that as well. I’m not sure if the lavender survived. Finger’s crossed 🤞 it will green up when the cold temperatures go away. I’m trying to start more lavender from seed now. But the oregano is trying to overtake the herb garden so I will be pulling a lot of that again this year. The lavender I had in large pits got drowned last year in all the rain.

Yep.

If you have inflammatory issues like arthritic joints, fibromyalgia, or sinusitis avoid the nightshade family. I can occasionally eat small portions of white potatoes, but tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant I cannot tolerate :hit
It is said that farmers tradionally used nightshade plants as decoy plants, growing them among the wanted crop as pest control, never food.

Back
Top Bottom