What did you do in the garden today?

I spent 11 hours working outside. I am beat.
I picked up more fencing supplies for that missing post.
When I came home I dug the hole, mixed concrete, set that post.
I sprayed all the contact points with flexseal as they don't sell creasote posts anymore. grrrrrr
I set out tall Tposts for the irrigation heads to water the new seed that's down. (I need two more heads and two more posts.)
I took a 30 minute break for lunch and water and got back to it.
The H-brace needed its center, and then its bracing. THe wire reel was locked, so I had to wrestle 12.5 wire. Then the first one I cut was 3 inches too short. GRRRR
The second one was fine, but the ratchet tensioner flew apart. Then back to old school way, that wire was 2.5 feet short. GRRRRRRRR
Third time is the charm. Finally got all the wire tight, and staples in. LOOKS AMAZING!
THEN I installed the hang pegs for the gate. As I turned the last peg and hung the gate, DH rolled into the garage from work.
I feed all the critters and called it a day.
GOOD GRIEF.

Tomorrow I'll pick up those irrigation heads and water some more. I don't want to, but I have to keep this seed wet.

Then I'll get on the wire fence.

First day without pouring rain so Penny got her walk this morning and I could really tell she'd missed it. Poor thing, she was so wired. When we got home I got to see that the swallows were checking out the birdhouse, good to see the english sparrows didn't get there first.

Dropped DP off at the dr office (regular visit) and picked up 100lb of straw, chicken grit, and it'lldofornow chicken pellets. Stopped at a really nice small local nursery to get some replacement snap peas (dang snails) and some collards. Opened the straw bales in the exposed run much to the delight of the girls.

Cleaned out another raised bed and cut back the sage and oregano. The hens were beyond happy since they got two five gallon buckets packed with weeds, grass, snails, worms, and grubs. It all got mixed in with that straw and will keep them busy for a couple of days.

Finished up with spreading the Sluggo, since there shouldn't be any rain till Tuesday night, it should really thin them out.
Wow, busy day!

YUK!
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 8.00.53 AM.png

I was hoping to get a little more garden work done today bc weather was supposed to be ok after a little rain this morning. But, now looks to rain for much of morning into afternoon, then more rain later for the foreseeable future (including some snow). So, I'll keep my eyes open for an opportunity to get out there.

The weather Sun/Mon looks worse than it did yesterday. So, I'll guess impending goat births. DH said the lighter one sounded a little different this morning, but otherwise was not doing anything different, didn't look different, but birth is going to happen this week!

Yesterday, I planted a bed of potatoes. Added some onion starts to the strawberry bed.

I have a 4 square Rhubarb bed. Planted early 2022. Last year 2 of them tried to flower (not desirable for rhubarb), and the dirt had sunk quite a bit bc we had used a fair amount of compost with the dirt. So, I decided to split the Rhubarb.

2022: left side (top and bottom) Victoria Rhubarb (you can get at Walmart), Top right "Kanga-Rhu" a hotter weather hybrid and bottom right: Crimson Red - both purchased from Gurneys, I think.
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 8.09.46 AM.png

So, I wanted more plants of the Crimson, so I removed bottom Victoria plant (will give to a friend), and split the Crimson Red into 4ths - it was huge and required an ax and mallet. They were reburied - 2 per quadrant. When I was working on the upper "Kanga-Rhu" a new plant split off the main plant - this plant and root system aren't as big as the other Rhubarbs, so I was only going to raise the soil....but with this extra plant that split off, I planted it near the inner corner, and planted the main plant again - this took a lot of soil! The last quadrant needs work, but I ran out of soil. I'll get to that later!

Here is one plant a couple of weeks ago - lots of nice buds!
Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 3.15.28 PM.png

Today I’ll be cleaning up after wind damage. The wind is still blowing now but supposed to stop later. I looked into sugar beets and I think it would be a fun thing for the grand kids to grow some then make sugar out of them. I already ordered the seeds. Lol! I really hope I can make a little more progress on outdoor work today. Fingers crossed 🤞.

At my house we make wine, meads, beers, and ciders so making vinegars is easy with our setup.
I wanna come to your house! That sounds fantastic!
Hope your bumble foot heals quickly.
LOL, this made me laugh.
Today I’ll be cleaning up after wind damage. The wind is still blowing now but supposed to stop later. I looked into sugar beets and I think it would be a fun thing for the grand kids to grow some then make sugar out of them. I already ordered the seeds. Lol! I really hope I can make a little more progress on outdoor work today. Fingers crossed 🤞.
Who knew it was going to be so windy? I went outside this am & all my potting stuff was all over the yard. :gig

I got a seed starter try for my aerogarden - going to set that up this afternoon & try some starts. Not sure how well it will work for hot peppers, they like to be warm to start but we'll see. It's kind of neat.

YUK!
View attachment 3786184
I was hoping to get a little more garden work done today bc weather was supposed to be ok after a little rain this morning. But, now looks to rain for much of morning into afternoon, then more rain later for the foreseeable future (including some snow). So, I'll keep my eyes open for an opportunity to get out there.

The weather Sun/Mon looks worse than it did yesterday. So, I'll guess impending goat births. DH said the lighter one sounded a little different this morning, but otherwise was not doing anything different, didn't look different, but birth is going to happen this week!

Yesterday, I planted a bed of potatoes. Added some onion starts to the strawberry bed.

I have a 4 square Rhubarb bed. Planted early 2022. Last year 2 of them tried to flower (not desirable for rhubarb), and the dirt had sunk quite a bit bc we had used a fair amount of compost with the dirt. So, I decided to split the Rhubarb.

2022: left side (top and bottom) Victoria Rhubarb (you can get at Walmart), Top right "Kanga-Rhu" a hotter weather hybrid and bottom right: Crimson Red - both purchased from Gurneys, I think.
View attachment 3786189

So, I wanted more plants of the Crimson, so I removed bottom Victoria plant (will give to a friend), and split the Crimson Red into 4ths - it was huge and required an ax and mallet. They were reburied - 2 per quadrant. When I was working on the upper "Kanga-Rhu" a new plant split off the main plant - this plant and root system aren't as big as the other Rhubarbs, so I was only going to raise the soil....but with this extra plant that split off, I planted it near the inner corner, and planted the main plant again - this took a lot of soil! The last quadrant needs work, but I ran out of soil. I'll get to that later!

Here is one plant a couple of weeks ago - lots of nice buds!
View attachment 3786193
I'd be happy with some of that rain. Sigh

Back
Top Bottom