What did you do in the garden today?

Huh, I didnā€™t know that day length had an impact. Good to know!
Nature is amazing. Many plants we try to grow in spring do better fall planted when day length is getting shorter. Turnips, radish, Chinese cabbage - mustard family and spinach. Will not bolt in the fall.
I like to catch sunfish during their spawn. Triggered by 68 degree water and day length. Ensures it does not happen too early or in the fall. Success is the goal.

Nature is amazing. Many plants we try to grow in spring do better fall planted when day length is getting shorter. Turnips, radish, Chinese cabbage - mustard family and spinach. Will not bolt in the fall.
I like to catch sunfish during their spawn. Triggered by 68 degree water and day length. Ensures it does not happen too early or in the fall. Success is the goal.
I was just talking to my neighbor about how fall is much better for planting a lot of stuff, but local nurseries only get stuff in Spring and sometimes thatā€™s way too short a time before the heat hits.

I was just talking to my neighbor about how fall is much better for planting a lot of stuff, but local nurseries only get stuff in Spring and sometimes thatā€™s way too short a time before the heat hits.
This exact thing is what got me hooked on starting from seed.

I try to start 90% of my food crops from seed.

Usually works out great, you know, unless I accidently cook my seeds. šŸ¤£

This exact thing is what got me hooked on starting from seed.

I try to start 90% of my food crops from seed.

Usually works out great, you know, unless I accidently cook my seeds. šŸ¤£
Our big box stores get all the food type starts at the right time, but the ornamentals and flowers they donā€™t. Itā€™s easier to transplant trees and shrubs here in fall before it gets cold and overwinter them outside than it is to do this in spring when our temps warm up quick. We literally went from mid 70ā€™s to mid 90ā€™s with only a few days in the 80ā€™s and now weā€™re flirting with triple digits. Our winter is like spring for most people. We can direct sow in fall and most of the winter, but our non growing season is primarily summer when itā€™s too hot.

Back
Top Bottom