What did you do in the garden today?

Ticks the beagle has 3 or more per day. She shares them with me. Mostly I find them before they attach. Sometimes lightly attached. Storm last night was severe. Lots of wind and hail 1.77 inches. I went fishing and got one tiny fish.
My dog brings home a lot of ticks too 🙄 I dose her with a pill every now and then, but they are so poisonous I always feel bad when giving her one, and the ticks need to suck blood to die, so not a perfect solution either 😩 this year the ticks were TINY!!! I didn’t even see them, my daughter saw them, now that I know what to look for, I found plenty of them too. Even though the dog has been treated against ticks, it is always better to find and kill them if you can .

Today is finally moving day for the littles. Right after my breakfast. Then it’s time for my shopping trip with the girls. I get to “watch” them tomorrow while DD goes to her hair appointment. The girls really enjoy prepping the garden beds so I have the big one on the back slope to get ready to plant. This will help me get caught up on the planting.

Need to venture out & try a new slicing tomato. The only one I eat is Brandywine, but I want to try something new. Anyone see anything I should try on the list?

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 10.25.48 AM.png

I believe it will be safe for me to set my tomato and pepper plants out in the garden next Friday. There will still be near a 40% chance of a light freeze after that, but I think the worst of the cold weather here will be over by then.

And if it's going to get too cold overnight I can cover the plants with something for protection.

Screen Shot 2024-05-04 at 7.43.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-05-04 at 7.43.07 AM.png

My collard green seeds are finally sprouting so I set the tray under the grow lights this morning. And I need to up-pot my second batch of bok choi seedlings today.

Since the space under the grow lights is already packed full, I'm going to move the tomatoes next to the south-facing living room window. That should give them enough light to survive until they go into the garden.

Need to venture out & try a new slicing tomato. The only one I eat is Brandywine, but I want to try something new. Anyone see anything I should try on the list?

View attachment 3820753
Celebrity. Great producer of very uniform tomatoes. Great for slicing. Not too big, not too small. Nice flavor. This will be our third year growing them.

Better Boy: also a good one we’ve planted last year. We will grow again this year.

Terracotta: nope nope nope. They nearly all rotted on the vine. It was weird. But if the ones we tried, they were just “Meh”.

Early Girl: neighbor plants these religiously. Every year. He’s very happy with these. Good producers too. Uniform.

You can have all the wild grapevines you want, come and get'em. They grow on my chain link fence.

Also, help yourself to honeysuckle, wisteria, Virginia Creeper, and privet.
:mad:

(why I need goats) ;)
Well I was bamboozled, what I thought were wild grapes of some variety are actually porcelainberry :(. Very disappointed. They're all entangled in my red mulberries so it's going to be fun getting rid of them without hurting the trees.

Back
Top Bottom