What did you do in the garden today?

G’morning all. I’m so far behind again it’s not funny. I spent most of my week working on house chores, but I did get out to water this morning. Lots of stuff is blooming, the grass is filling in-I think it had a shock when we went from mid 70’s to mid 90’s overnight. Tomato plants are suffering so I’m yanking them all this week. The carrots don’t even look good either. I think I’ll take the water things out of those planters, mix in some perlite and try some melons in those. Won’t be long and it’ll be time to plant corn, squash and beans too. I’m going to toss out some sunflower seeds and see what happens and a bunch of this wildflower mix I’ve got can fill in the front yard. I’m just not into the garden this year.

Need to venture out & try a new slicing tomato. The only one I eat is Brandywine, but I want to try something new. Anyone see anything I should try on the list?

View attachment 3820753
I can't grow heirloom tomatoes without the TYLCV resistance, but if I could, I would start with Cherokee Purple and all the different color Chef's choice.

I don't like the taste of the Prairie Fire cherry tomato; the sales pitch/description was misleading.

Neighbors can be a real PITA, without even realizing it. Best thing you can do though, is stick to your own plans. You'll be happiest when you do...Most times, anyway. Lol
I would like to grow something there, to use as a screen, but the area is under a pine and a cedar, so doesn't get full sun.

My yard is an ongoing project...

Tomatoes are blossoming!
IMG_20240505_130107147_HDR~2.jpg

German Johnson

IMG_20240505_130154424_HDR~2.jpg

Roma (plum type)

MIX IN BUCKET OR JUG FIRST BEFORE PUTTING IN SPRAYER TO AVOID CLOGS.

Mix lime and water FIRST to dissolve lime BEFORE adding copper sulfate.

For spraying in small amounts, prepare as above but only mix 1 gallon (3.5 L) of water, 3 1/3 tablespoons (50 ml.) of copper sulfate and 10 tablespoons (148 ml.) of hydrated lime. Agitate the mixture thoroughly before you spray.

USE WITHIN 2 HOURS. Shake sprayer often to keep mixture from settling.

For larger amounts, you can find a scaled recipe here - https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/diy-bordeaux-fungicide.htm
Ok. Just attempted this.

Tried 2 sprayers, both clogged. I shook them constantly, I moved them around, I held them vertically and horizontally, but nothing worked to get them to spray more than a couple of seconds. I did mix the lime with water in a bucket first. Am I supposed to wait a certain amount of time for that solution to be less problematic ? Does it actually go into solution? The copper was added after I put the line and water into the sprayer, and added more water. Anyway, suffice it to say, in the end, I poured and splashed the solution as best as I was able all over the trees that needed it. I had to take the sprayers apart, piece by piece to clean them, they are spraying ok now. I was also covered with solution and just finished rinsing off, and washing the garden shoes. So, additional advice is welcome as today’s Bordeaux experience should probably not be repeated.

This afternoon I managed to transplant most of the remaining bedding annuals in pots.

Marigolds (petite):
IMG_20240505_155138245~2.jpg

There's a lantana and a citronella waiting to be transplanted, near the back/right:
IMG_20240505_154521365_HDR~2.jpg

I put reddish edging in place to create a flower area next to the side steps. The edging was originally around my Rose of Sharon trees. After the trees died I removed the edging in order to create a raised flower bed with landscaping bricks:
IMG_20240504_164335542_HDR~2.jpg

You can see what's left of one tree, on the right side.

Then the rain moved in...may it give us a good soaking, and not just tease us with more sprinkles!
IMG_20240505_143540300_HDR~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom