What did you do in the garden today?

Today's project. At least I had the fence in the right spot. I had been waiting for the box elder limbs to fall and thought it was pretty much in the clear. Limb Wider than my 14 inch battery chain saw.

IMG_20240516_061947979_HDR.jpg

okra does better if direct seeded. be very careful when transplanting.
Thanks. Yeah, I read that somewhere. The big problem here is the temperature. It's still too cool to be direct planting okra seeds. Too cool, the plants go dormant and are more susceptible to diseases. So if the seeds I planted in the garden don't work out I'll drop in the potted plants... if they grow, that is.

Projects today: up-potting a bunch of seedlings (just bought a big bag of potting soil) and improving the setup of my front porch diakon bucket, which is growing really, really well.

And I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on setting up a drip irrigation system for my garden, so I need to do some more research to determine what I need to buy.

Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 8.54.02 AM.png

I'll watch for your report.
Their response. About what I expected... I haven't replied yet.

Dana Calkins (Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co)

May 16, 2024, 09:10 CDT

We are sorry to hear you have had trouble with your seeds. We take our seed program very seriously, and we want our customers to get the best possible seeds.

To that end, we practice strict adherence to the Federal Seed Act, which requires that we test the germination rate of all lots of seed that we sell. While different crop types have different minimum germination rates, all must test at or above the minimum standard for that type, or be clearly marked otherwise.

Most of the seeds that we sell are tested by SGS, the world’s premier testing, inspecting and certification company. We have approximately 4,000 lots of seed that must be tested regularly. Our staff is responsible for sampling the seed lots and coordinating with SGS. Our staff records, tracks, and logs the results internally. No seed is packed without a valid germination report.

We try not to sell seeds with germination below the minimum federal standard, but it is sometimes unavoidable due to extenuating circumstances such as low inventory or customer demand for an exceedingly rare variety. In these cases, all seed packs are labeled as “overpacked due to low germ" and the rate must be declared on the label, along with the month and year of the test result.

Additionally, we regularly grow most of the seed varieties we offer in our trial gardens and greenhouses to assess their essential qualities such as flavor, hardiness, growing profile, and whether they grow true to type.

There are many variables outside Baker Creek’s control that may affect your seeds’ performance, including weather, soil composition, light, and pests. Additionally, seed packages may be subjected to irradiation by the postal service or be exposed to excessive weather conditions during shipping.

Baker Creek is committed to customer satisfaction. If you are unsatisfied with our seeds for any reason, we will cheerfully replace them with more seeds of the same variety, a different variety of your choice, or issue a refund. Please let us know how you would like us to proceed.

Dana Calkins
Customer Care Representative
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
2278 Baker Creek Road
Mansfield MO 65704
www.rareseeds.com

Pulled the strawberries from the freeze dryer. 15 hours.
They are amazing. Next up are either more strawberries, if I can get the same deal, or some sweet potato chips.

The tomato plants are coming along in the greenhouse.

The herb and perennial garden look fabulous.

We're actually having a Spring for a change.

Off to slather on the sunscreen and jump on the mower for a few hours.
Have a good one everyone.

We are sorry to hear you have had trouble with your seeds. We take our seed program very seriously, and we want our customers to get the best possible seeds.

To that end, we practice strict adherence to the Federal Seed Act, which requires that we test the germination rate of all lots of seed that we sell. While different crop types have different minimum germination rates, all must test at or above the minimum standard for that type, or be clearly marked otherwise.

Most of the seeds that we sell are tested by SGS, the world’s premier testing, inspecting and certification company. We have approximately 4,000 lots of seed that must be tested regularly. Our staff is responsible for sampling the seed lots and coordinating with SGS. Our staff records, tracks, and logs the results internally. No seed is packed without a valid germination report.

We try not to sell seeds with germination below the minimum federal standard, but it is sometimes unavoidable due to extenuating circumstances such as low inventory or customer demand for an exceedingly rare variety. In these cases, all seed packs are labeled as “overpacked due to low germ" and the rate must be declared on the label, along with the month and year of the test result.

Additionally, we regularly grow most of the seed varieties we offer in our trial gardens and greenhouses to assess their essential qualities such as flavor, hardiness, growing profile, and whether they grow true to type.

There are many variables outside Baker Creek’s control that may affect your seeds’ performance, including weather, soil composition, light, and pests. Additionally, seed packages may be subjected to irradiation by the postal service or be exposed to excessive weather conditions during shipping.

Baker Creek is committed to customer satisfaction. If you are unsatisfied with our seeds for any reason, we will cheerfully replace them with more seeds of the same variety, a different variety of your choice, or issue a refund. Please let us know how you would like us to proceed.

Dana Calkins
2278 Baker Creek Road
Mansfield MO 65704
www.rareseeds.com
I used to like BC seeds. Something changed about 5/6 years ago. I don't know what it was. They got too large? Too corporate, while not being so? :🤷:

Dana Calkins
2278 Baker Creek Road
Mansfield MO 65704
www.rareseeds.com
After all the justifications as to why there's no problem with their seeds, I'm glad that they'll do whatever it takes to make things right with you. But this part is kind of concerning...

...Additionally, seed packages may be subjected to irradiation by the postal service...

What the heck?!!

After all the justifications as to why there's no problem with their seeds, I'm glad that they'll do whatever it takes to make things right with you. But this part is kind of concerning...

...Additionally, seed packages may be subjected to irradiation by the postal service...

What the heck?!!
They've been radiating mail for ages, since the anthrax thing in, what was that? 2000? 2001?

On Sunday I did a major cleaning, 16 gallon water change on my 29g tank, a little more than 50%, but I didn't check the nitrates, they're always about 5-10ppm due to the plants. I used to dump the buckets of dirty water on my shrubs, but my gardenia is dying, and I think it's due to root rot from all that water. I did put some tank water on my flowers.
View attachment 3833169

When I finished stripping down the tank to sand I discovered I still had four Kuhli loaches. A couple of them are almost 8 years old.
View attachment 3833170
:love
Awww, as a teen I used to have Tropical fish, Loaches & Newts ❤️
Very cool, thanks for sharing 👍

Happy Thursday, very cloudy, dreary, a bit & warmer but still a nippy breeze. Working today but hoping to get home 4pmish so I can rake out more nutsedge "pearls" to prep the garden area. It is a time consuming, back & knee aching, but necessary task. On the plus side, my chickens Love joining me for free range time & the occasion grub or beetle I churn up. Their antics make me laugh.

Thought I'd share some chicken garden humor. Have a good one everybody!

Screenshot_20240516_110350_Lite.jpg

Back
Top Bottom