What did you do in the garden today?

Pulled the strawberries from the freeze dryer. 15 hours.
They are amazing. Next up are either more strawberries, if I can get the same deal, or some sweet potato chips.

The tomato plants are coming along in the greenhouse.

The herb and perennial garden look fabulous.

We're actually having a Spring for a change.

Off to slather on the sunscreen and jump on the mower for a few hours.
Have a good one everyone.
I'm waffling so badly on buying one!

Went out to get the mail and stopped to look at my cukes. They are planted in this raised bed trellis (although I've removed netting 2 weeks ago because DH got it caught in the mower...).

About had a heart attack when a snake tried to strike at my face when I was looking under the leaves. I saw it slither towards a corner but it never came out of the box so it must have a burrow in there. No idea what kind of snake it was... Either a copperhead or a black rat snake. If it's a rat snake, I don't want to kill it.

Screenshot_20240421_181220_Gallery.jpg

Went out to get the mail and stopped to look at my cukes. They are planted in this raised bed trellis (although I've removed netting 2 weeks ago because DH got it caught in the mower...).

About had a heart attack when a snake tried to strike at my face when I was looking under the leaves. I saw it slither towards a corner but it never came out of the box so it must have a burrow in there. No idea what kind of snake it was... Either a copperhead or a black rat snake. If it's a rat snake, I don't want to kill it.

View attachment 3833956
Rat snakes EAT Copperheads...

How will you evict it?

View attachment 3833956
Wow, it is a surprise when a snake lunges at you, especially if you didn’t even know it was there. My dad said he nearly crapped his pants when he went into an outbuilding to find something...a big black snake "stood up" and was vertical, they stood eye to eye...before dad made a hasty retreat. My dad stood 5'10" so that snake was a good bit longer...it was up level face to face with dad & much of the snake as still on the floor. Later that week, we found the perfect shed snake skin in that outbuilding, and no trace of mice anymore.

I've had rodents tunneling in my raised beds before. Maybe your snake was sniffing out a rodent? Hope it's Not a Copperhead! 🙏

Last edited:
Wow, it is a surprise when a snake lunges at you, especially if you didn’t even know it was there. My dad said he nearly crapped his pants when he went into an outbuilding to find something...a big black snake "stood up" and was vertical, they stood eye to eye...before dad made a hasty retreat. My dad stood 5'10" so that snake was a good bit longer...it was up level face to face with dad & much of the snake as still on the floor. Later that week, we found the perfect shed snake skin in that outbuilding, and no trace of mice anymore.

I've had rodents tunneling in my raised beds before. Maybe your snake was sniffing out a rodent? Hope it's Not a Copperhead! 🙏
Blue racers will stand up like that... It's enough to take a few years off your life, for sure.

As for the snake in my cukes, if he wants to hunt that dang gopher or any voles, he's more than welcome to hang around.... 😂

Ducks completely ruined our new flowerbed we were trying to make! :he

Our chickens are kind pure-hearted souls who will use them to poop and such to help fertilize and further boost the progress. They will get rid of all those pesky destroyers of the flowers and get rid of small snakes around them.

Our DUCKS on the other hand are evil and cruel, If you gave them a cup of water and ask them to save half they would break the cup in half instead. They are evil despicable and horrendous, they are a threat to all of humanity and completely destroyed the flowerbeds and uproot the flowers and eat the earthworms and stomp on sprouts and bury their FAT beaks into the soil and eat the seeds and anything helping it grow.

Okay I am done with my rant.

Back
Top Bottom