What did your chickens do today?

Yesterday one of my hens was attacked by a roo and lost a lot of feathers, had a big cut in her head and bleed a bit. A good chunk of the day was spent cleaning and tending to wounds and making an area for her to rest separate from the other chicks. She has a sister that paced nervously outside her pen for hours on end so I let her in with the hurt hen and they've been keeping each other company. The healthy hen has no desire to hurt the other chick, she just sits near her and coos when I walk up. It was a rough day for chicks yesterday but today has been a bit easier and my little hen is dealing with me needing to clean her wounds and treat her. The sad part was that I have never heard a real pained cry from a chick before and it is heartbreaking.

Hope he heals up. Hate seeing an injured chicken. it's hard to believe the things they'll do to each other.

Yesterday one of my hens was attacked by a roo and lost a lot of feathers, had a big cut in her head and bleed a bit. A good chunk of the day was spent cleaning and tending to wounds and making an area for her to rest separate from the other chicks. She has a sister that paced nervously outside her pen for hours on end so I let her in with the hurt hen and they've been keeping each other company. The healthy hen has no desire to hurt the other chick, she just sits near her and coos when I walk up. It was a rough day for chicks yesterday but today has been a bit easier and my little hen is dealing with me needing to clean her wounds and treat her. The sad part was that I have never heard a real pained cry from a chick before and it is heartbreaking.
Poor baby :(

My 4 chickens will be 2 months old at the end of this week. Today they got to roam around a new (to them) part of the yard. They were like little kids running around a new playground. The best part was watching the Ameraucana chase moths. I had a very hard day today and was very stressed out when I got home. I just sat and watched them play and felt much better about the world.
It was also funny when they all went into their coop to roost while I was still cleaning it out. I have sand in there and sift it. They just jumped around my scoop and acted like it was a normal thing. They were all settled and going to sleep by the time I finished. I'm so happy I decided to get them!

I went out to lock them up and my fav little girl jumps on my lap and snuggled up and fell asleep on me . She has become a real sweetie since reaching POL.

Poor baby
sad.png
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. She seems to be happy in her new surroundings with her sister. They are the two sweetest hens that I have so it has been sad to see her hurting but the other hen is keeping her company.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  She seems to be happy in her new surroundings with her sister.  They are the two sweetest hens that I have so it has been sad to see her hurting but the other hen is keeping her company.
That is so sweet she has hr sister! Glad you are taking such good care of her. Did you keep the rooster that caused that bad of damage?

That is so sweet she has hr sister! Glad you are taking such good care of her. Did you keep the rooster that caused that bad of damage?
Thanks. The rooster is still a little guy, about 14 weeks old, but he is pretty big for his ago. I am working on his attitude and trying to break that aggression. He tried doing it again in front of me and got an attitude correction. I've also been proactively working on him and he is chilling out some. He's a great bird around people, just not chickens so if the training doesn't help he will either be rehomed or eaten.

We got three new hens yesterday, they are only a few months old but our rooster had a fit. He started being mean and chasing all my chickens. He's been protecting these chicks of his for a month and now he wants to hurt them! We kicked him out of the coop today, boy does he want back in! I guess one of the chicks that turns out to be a roo will take over.

M
Thanks.  The rooster is still a little guy, about 14 weeks old, but he is pretty big for his ago.  I am working on his attitude and trying to break that aggression.  He tried doing it again in front of me and got an attitude correction.  I've also been proactively working on him and he is chilling out some.  He's a great bird around people, just not chickens so if the training doesn't help he will either be rehomed or eaten.

maybe since he's so young you will be successful. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom