What do chicks do when to hot?

They won’t really go under brooder plate, they lean against it. It’s hot today, 83 in this room. Just found three laying down throwing head back and breathing hard when I pick them up

They breathe hard and stay away from heat sources.
They might breathe hard when you pick them up because they're nervous.
83 is decently warm for anything over a couple of weeks, I'd turn off the heat plate.
☝️☝️ THIS.
Turn off the heat plate.
83F is plenty warm for them. You may even need to open a window or provide some air flow like a small fan to circulate air.
Excess heat will kill chicks faster than being too cold.

☝️☝️ THIS.
Turn off the heat plate.
83F is plenty warm for them. You may even need to open a window or provide some air flow like a small fan to circulate air.
I believe OP said they are 4 days old on a previous post. Also, has one that appears to be severely underdeveloped on another thread.

☝️☝️ THIS.
Turn off the heat plate.
The fact they have a huge brooder to roam around in and find a place to be cool isn’t okay?
☝️☝️ THIS.
Turn off the heat plate.
They are 4 days old

The fact they have a huge brooder to roam around in and find a place to be cool isn’t okay?

They are 4 days old
Well, the chicks don't seem to be ok with it, from what you described. If they need the over head fan on, and are acting too hot, you have to go off what your chicks are doing- even if it seems counter to what you'd expect.

It's possible something else is going on, but it sounds like they're too hot.

They are 4 days old
When you have a room with an ambient temp of 83 degrees - and the brooder probably being eve warmer than that assuming it is enclosed -I think it is going be hard managing the temp in the brooder given the little bit of wiggle room you have between the preferred temp for their age and the ambient temp.

I think you should start with a thermometer on the bedding both in the unheated areas, and under the plate. See what you are actually working with.

The temperature should be dropped by 5 degrees each week for the next 6 weeks. Chicks of that age do need heat. What're you feeding them?

I believe OP said they are 4 days old on a previous post. Also, has one that appears to be severely underdeveloped on another thread.
won’t really go under brooder plate, they lean against it. It’s hot today, 83 in this room. Just found three laying down throwing head back and breathing hard when I pick them up

And?

Suggested Temperatures are a guideline.

Behavior is key. Not using the brooder plate, 83 room temperature is hot!

Would be nice if the OP can provide photos of the brooder and chicks.

I saw the other thread, that issue is being addressed.

And.... I think it is way hotter in that thing than OP believes it to be and the information presented is limited and missing key points, which is going to lead to poor suggestions all around and dead chicks.

Stressful as heck!

@Newchickey have you raised many chicks previously? Are you aware of what their behaviors under comfortable temps? Not attempting to belittle what you may know, just trying to reset it here.

Back
Top Bottom