what do pigeon's eat?

another question, he has red feet. are they red or yellowish/orangeish like chickens and ducks or are they burnt also?
he is a regular greyish/black with some purple on him

He seems pretty content as long as we don't let the cats by him. if they start trying to get up where he is then he will start fluttering around. we take him in our room at night or when we go to work and bring him out when we are home.

What does anybody think of getting another pigeon to keep this one company? They're very social birds..

Thanks for rescuing and caring for this one. Yesterday I was at a car wash.. was admiring the few pigeons while waiting.. they can be rather pretty.

Quote:
The only reason we caught this one was because he couldn't fly. Not sure if I want to keep him/her though because he is a wild bird. I know I wouldn't be happy going from free to caged.

He does like to listen to me whistle but he don't care to be touched. He makes some strange gargling noise when we put our hands in the cage. not a coo but more of a growling sound

Quote:
Sounds like you could have a male by the way you described the sounds they are making.
If it would be possible to release him where he came from i would do that.
He probably has a mate and she will be waiting for him to return.

Yes they have red legs, make sure he can fly before releasing.

Pluck a few flight feathers,so they can regrow. only the bad ones. the main ones are the 10 outside ones.

Oh do you have a pic., he could be just a young bird also.

Quote:
The only reason we caught this one was because he couldn't fly. Not sure if I want to keep him/her though because he is a wild bird. I know I wouldn't be happy going from free to caged.

He does like to listen to me whistle but he don't care to be touched. He makes some strange gargling noise when we put our hands in the cage. not a coo but more of a growling sound

I understand. That bird does need to be caged for its recovery period, for sure. Highly social birds not tame with humans can become stressed by being the only kind/alone for a long while. What I don't know is whether pigeons can become highly stressed being the only one or it'll be allright until release.

stupid question, are his flight feather's the wings or the tail feather's?
I have no clue on birds. learning the chickens but I don't do anything with their wings.

Back
Top Bottom