What do we have here?

This is today
No idea how the person that sold you those chicks could think they were Chanteclers. And no, they are not sexlinks. They just look like red sexlinks. You have, what are clearly, second generation birds. No sexlinking at all. And color sexlinks means that the gender is linked to the color. Makes for very reliable and accurate sexing if bred by somebody who knows what they are doing. And just because a person has some chickens and sells chicks, does not mean that they are a breeder.
Chanteclers have a completely different comb type, and it's visible as soon as a chick hatches.
And yes, all chickens can be butchered, even tiny bantams. You just don't get much meat from such small birds.

So I just spoke w her. She said the rooster was absolutely a red Chantecler. She said maybe he mated w her buff Orpington. Does this sound like it could be right?

So I just spoke w her. She said the rooster was absolutely a red Chantecler. She said maybe he mated w her buff Orpington. Does this sound like it could be right?
Nope. The cushion comb of the Chantecler is a combination of a pea comb gene and a rose comb gene. Both of which are dominant over the single comb of the Oprington. The chicks have single combs. The Orpington has white skin which is dominant over the yellow skin of the Chantecler. The chicks have yellow skin. And neither breed would produce the red and white coloring of those birds.
She has no idea what she is talking about or what breeds her birds are.

Last edited:
Nope. The cushion comb of the Chantecler is a combination of a pea comb gene and a rose comb gene. Both of which are dominant over the single comb of the Oprington. The chicks have single combs. The Orpington has white skin which is dominant over the yellow skin of the Chantecler. The chicks have yellow skin. And neither breed would produce the red and white coloring of those birds.
She has no idea what she is talking about or what breeds her birds are.

lol your very correct

Those red and white are red sex links for sure i have some of those my self red sex links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a Rhode Island white

Back
Top Bottom